Help please.. Baby chicks, 2 weeks old pulling each others feathers.

ImAnewbie4

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Since we're new to the whole chick / chicken keeping, we're not sure if this is normal. I'm worried about a couple of our little ones because they have bare spots on their backs as if there is some fighting going on. One is missing some of her new little tail feathers. I think they are too young to move to their coop but we are not sure if maybe it's because they are too confined? My husband thinks if we separate some, they will surely fight when they all move to the coop down the road. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

HI.

Are you using a heat lamp? If you are, use a red light instead of white. Get some blue-kote and put it on the chickens that have bare backs.

How much space is in your brooder? At 2 weeks, it is not abnormal for them to start the pecking order thing. BUT, if they are too crowded, constant light, not enough feeders/water-er... you will have more aggressive actions taking place. I had 12 chicks in a 2x4 brooder. That gave plenty of space for them. I used a red heat lamp also. If you are just using a 100watt bulb at the moment, you can get red bulbs at 75 watt, or ever a 75 wat black light. I have done both. If you can put a roost in also, just need a little dowel or the like, gives them activities... Practicing jumping up and down. LOL.

Anyway, I think good rul of thumb for a brooder is 1/2 foot of space per chick for the age you have... then up to a foot of space per chick by the time they are 5 weeks... If it isn't too cold, you could put them in their coop already if there are not ways they can accidently fall out thru a gap. Make sure heat lamp is secured 3 ways.

Thanks so much for your post!

We are using a red light but I will double check if it's a 75. We upgraded them already to a large feeder and waterer. I'm wondering if the perches may help. My husband found that now several have missing tail feathers.. Should we take out all the aggressive ones? There maybe a rooster in there.. They did send us and extra saying that they add a male for smaller orders.

Is this the way they determine the pecking order or may we lose some if we don't separate them? I don't them to hurt each other.

Thanks again!

I don't know when pecking order starts but there all ways seems to be some. Another thing, if there is a rooster then they do try to be dominant so that might be it. Making the brooding box bigger might be good because the space could also be the issue.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom