HELP PLEASE. BO HEN BULLIED AND BARE NECK SHOWING

raspeary

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Cortland New York
I need help. So yesterday afternoon I put my bo with my rhode island reds and cornish rocks in the big coop. They were doing fine all afternoon and evening. Well throughout the overnight period, some of my chickens bullied and pecked one of my buffs neck. You can see the blood and skin. I immediately cleaned out the wound with hydrogen peroxide and put a little vasaline on it for now and took out all three of my buffs and also I seperated the injured one in its own tote.

I don't know what chicken did this to her. When I put her back in the coop for a minute so I could prepare the two totes, the buff rooster pecked at her.

What do I need to do to get her back to health? What about the piece of skin and feathers that is still hanging on her? What do I do to put these chickens back into the coop with the rhode island reds? The cornish rocks are being butchered tonight so I won't have to worry about them?

What if the buff rooster did this to her and why since they have been togeter their whole life without problems?

I can't answer why they did it except perhaps they felt crowded or bored. If there is loose dangling skin, I'd snip it off, clean wound with iodine etc. then smother it in neosporin(no pain killer in it!) or nitrofurizone. Should heal up fine. I'd keep her seperated until fully healed or they will pick at her.
hugs.gif

Quote:
just want to say thank you for responding. I was wondering if neosporin would be safe or if i should use bag balm. The hydrogen peroxide didn't seem to bother her so I'll use that to clean her up and try neosporing. I was getting frustrated with no one responding. I've had posted stuff in the past and have had instant response i was beginning to wonder if anyone else was on.

Back
Top Bottom