HELP PLEASE!!!! Chick with broken foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by areilly143, Feb 20, 2013.

1. areilly143

areilly143 New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    My baby chick has a broken foot!!! I think she got it snagged and twisted it when she got scared. The broke part is not the hock but spur. HOW DO I SPLINT THIS???

So i am new to owning chickens and i have four hens that just started laying eggs and two chicks who are around 1-2 month old. I keep the baby chickens in the same area as the big chickens but in a seperate coop.

Today I noticed that one of my chicks was limping really bad and that her foot was bent to the inside. Perfect L shape. I would like to keep her alive. I dont know how to splint her foot so that its straight and so that she can still walk on it. I seperated her and brought her inside. For now she does have a splint but it will not help her foot heal properly. It only provides enough support that she can put some weight on it. Mostly she hops around for a min and then lays down the rest of the time. can someone please help me???

2. I just looked at it and its actually not very helpful

3. tagy

tagy New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Help plz! I had 4 chicks one died 3 days ago. He walked like a duck and his legs kept shaking all the time. Now another one is having the same problem. He walks like a duck and legs shaking. He seems to fall sometimes the walks again. He eats and drinks normally. What can i do to help him? Why is this happening? I dont want him to die plz help!

4. U may want to look at the site I offered 143 there is a hyper link on the site that leads u to another site about spraddle leg and how u can fix it I am not sure about the shaking of the leg though there are alot of people on this site that can tell u the answer u just have to find them
    Maybe u can copy and paste your chick problem paragraphs to other threads that have something to do with a injured chick

5. areilly143

areilly143 New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    I'm an EMT so I used those skills to help my angel. I put a boot on her using medical tape and cardboard. She will put weight on her foot now. Hopefully this will work for long term. [​IMG]

6. tootsit

tootsit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Depending on how bad the break is... I agree to your idea , but I think it would be better to use vet wrap. It's easier and less traumatic to take off and change. I would also wrap first in gauze then the HARD cardboard and finally the vet wrap. Keep the poor baby inside and QUIET so it may heal. Yor can also offer her some special food (i.e. meal worms, live or dry, finely chopped dog or cat food & sprouts/veggies for extra vits.) with extra protein and vitamins to help heat more quickly. I have never tried the herb, boneset but that may also help. Good luck. Annemarie

7. tagy

tagy New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Thx for ur reply he's still having problem he has one leg out when he moves he's not interested that much in eating or drinking anymore just a little bit. I think he's not going to make it :( i tried to put his legs together with medical type but it was worse he couldnt move anymore so i removed it. Any advice will be very helpful. Thx all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by