Help please chicken or rooster??

lifeof6gengos

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Camarillo, California

My daughters class hacked eggs at the end of April ! We brought one home! can anyone tell me if this is a rooster or chick and what breed please!

It is definitely a chick/chicken - but that would be true whether it were male or female. Males are cockerels/roosters and females are pullets/hens.
It appears to likely be a light brahma in breed - and too young to determine gender just yet.

It is definitely a chick/chicken - but that would be true whether it were male or female.  Males are cockerels/roosters and females are pullets/hens.
It appears to likely be a light brahma in breed - and too young to determine gender just yet.

It does kinda look like a light brahmas but the neck is a little different looking to me. Did you order from a hatchery or get from someone else?

It appears to be a mixed breed, looks like a cockerel but I am unclear of the age since you said two different things!

Probably a Light Brahma crossed with something that has yellow legs[pink ones would be dominant in the offspring] and a single comb. That extended black on the neck and tail is typical of brahma crosses , though it is more extended than the ones I have seen, almost looking like Lakenvelder markings[but a Lakenvelder cross would have a different leg color].

I don't see any rooster feathering but the comb is very red, if it was hatched end April, at about 4 months that usually means a female that will lay soon, but since you said it was hatched end May later, it'd mean this bird is more of 3 months and would likely be a cockerel. They don't always get their rooster feathering in yet by that time. So depending on what the hatch time really was, one or the other is more likely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom