HELP PLEASE!!!! Chicken with Coccidiosis! UPDATE: She passed away

Feed stores or Jefferslivestock.com for the Corid or Sulmet... I hear the Corid is a better choice, not as hard on the chickens systems. (Sulmet is Sulfa)...

Best of luck... I am sorry she is so sick. Use the search here on BYC for "oral dosing", "giving oral medications", "giving water and food orally when they won't eat or drink", etc.

There are pictures and instructions about how to best avoid the windpipe, the airway.... the hole that is right behind the tongue.... you want to be careful not to get any food or liquid into that hole. Aspiration of water, medicine or food will cause quick death, from what I have heard.

I have given worming medicine (Valbazen) with a syringe (no needle) into the open beak, to the side and back ... behind, down, to the side of the tongue and airway... no problems yet. It was "difficult" because I was scared the first couple of times, now it goes more smoothly.

In older chickens, not so young... these symptoms could be an indication of worms.... if a chicken is over, say, 6 months old and had these symptoms... it could be either.. but, worming would be recommended as well (not simultaneously with the Corid though), and probably first. Just not for a chick so young.. too young to have worms.

Sulmet is not recommended for laying hens at all, ever... so... I am not sure of the withdrawal period if it is given, I think most wait three weeks after treatment. It does go into the drinking water and there are directions for each disease it treats on the bottle. I do not know how much you would give, when it is diluted in water, if you were having to give it orally to a chicken who won't drink.
As far as I know... the local feed store is the place to get all your antibiotics, worming meds, feed, etc... but, when you ask for things "for chickens" and don't have the medication name... often you don't get what you need... as we use many things "off label" to treat chickens.

Others know more than I do... and the Search here on BYC is very helpful.

Best of luck... I am sorry you don't have a well stocked feed store nearby... take care.

Quote:
Yesterday night I drove 3 hours trying to find medication that I could put in the water for coccidiosis but all I could find was Tetracycline Hydrochloride powder and the person at tractor supply said it worked for his chickens with coccidiosis so we took it. There were no other poultry medications at any of the stores we went to. We even called a bunch of vets. I am using a spoon to give her the medicated water because I dont have a dropper. I gave the rest of the flock the medication, too. If she is still with us tomorrow i'm going to call a vet that specializes in poultry (they werent open this weekend) to see what they can tell us or do for us. There are just so many diseases she can have that i'm not sure i'm treating her for the right thing. Maybe the vet will let me take her there and see what she has.

Any idea where I can get the right medication if the vet doesnt have it?

If you bring in a poo sample that will be extremely helpful as the vet can actually test the poo for cocci and other things. I hope she makes it!!!!!

Actually, you can just take the poo in at first to save $, unless you feel that she won't make it possibly and you want her to be seen.

The Corid is actually in the cattle section at feed stores, and the sulmet is too I think you can get powder??? form of both medications. You can ask your vet about these.

Both are available online at livestock supply houses but if you wait with coccidiosis the outcome can be bad. Also ask your vet about how long to toss eggs if you have any egglayers receiving ANY medication, as there are egg withdrawal times for lots of medications (this advice is good for the future). Or you can also look them up on BYC or google for "egg withdrawal."

Last edited:
we had a horrid time with coxi no joke it is horrid... here is what helped us, one get the powder it will be in the livestock section like the cattle and goat section.. it is in I think a yellow bag... when you start the water give a high dose like a table spoon per gallon. give for one week but after first day lower dose to 1 teaspoon per gallon... for the really sick one you can also get tablets from a bird vet that will get the coxi on the run. it is imperative that you get the sick ones to eat... we used peanut butter steamed broccoli chopped into little pieces and good quality layer crumble... this sounds weird but they love the peanut butter and it is good for them... we had to tube feed some and we lost alot... hang on it is a bumpy ride. also keep all feeders and waters clean I used dawn dish soap and hot watter daily. I also had to treat there run with powdered lime... this kills the coxi per the aviary vet. be diligent and look for bloody poop or birds acting like you were describing acting cold and wanting to be alone. quarantine any you are worried about. oh and if you use the lime put a good layer of straw over it or it will burn there feet.

please know a lot of us go though this and you have done nothing to hurt your babies it is very hard and I am so sorry you are going though this...water is the thing that gets coxi going so keep the area for them dry as possible.

good luck and you are doing so much for them... they are very loved..

She will no longer take water and her poop is basically water so I cant get a sample of it. If she lasts until 10 am today I can call the vet and see if they can look at her and tell whats wrong. I did see a pack of powder for cocci but it was for calves. Could I have used that? I'm sort of doubting this is cocci though.

I pray for a chance of your girl pulling thru. Recently, I lost a 3 month old Polish Hen. Because of her sweet, calm disposition, I missed a few signs. My girl died of kidney failure. It broke my heart. I wouldn't have had a clue what did it if I hadn't had a necropsy done. My recommendation is to most certainly have one done if she does pass. It could save the lives of others in your flock. Some tests are still pending (for my girl...they are testing viral lung diseases too), but we think it might have been because she was eating Layena (a laying feed) too early. The excess calcium caused the failure. Please keep us updated on your baby!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom