Help please. Dead duck

Alytnaia

Hatching
Jun 5, 2017
Hi everyone.

We bought our first batch of meat birds about 7 weeks ago.

This morning i came down to find one of the cherry valley ducks dead. I do not know cause if death. All was ok last night at 11.30 when we locked them away. There is an autopop on the coop and they free range in the day. I know therefore that death occured between 6 and 8am when i found the duck.

Now as she was a meat bird we were due to despatch shortly anyway. The only thing i can think of is maybr she was eating layers rather than growers and she had access to when free ranging in the day but i didnt think that would matter.

So given that the duck died in the last 3 hrs. Is it okay to eat? Obviously i do not knoe cause of death. Other ducks are fine. What about bleeding?

Thank you

I wouldn't. Among other things, flies lay eggs very quickly on a dead bird.

(Unless you are in the southern hemisphere somewhere where it was below freezing all day, of course...)

We're in england uk. Its been pretty cold today about 10c I've hung it upside down head on. Just until i ascertain if ok to eat. I think it may have been a heart attack? No external signs but the birds were a bit flighty this morning so wondering if a cat or something chased them.

There were no flys around the body. Not to say it's not happened but as i say it had definitely died within a 2hr window would it be spoilt from that window?

Hi everyone.

We bought our first batch of meat birds about 7 weeks ago.

This morning i came down to find one of the cherry valley ducks dead. I do not know cause if death. All was ok last night at 11.30 when we locked them away. There is an autopop on the coop and they free range in the day. I know therefore that death occured between 6 and 8am when i found the duck.

Now as she was a meat bird we were due to despatch shortly anyway. The only thing i can think of is maybr she was eating layers rather than growers and she had access to when free ranging in the day but i didnt think that would matter.

So given that the duck died in the last 3 hrs. Is it okay to eat? Obviously i do not knoe cause of death. Other ducks are fine. What about bleeding?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom