Help Please! Duck is bleeding while hatching

FreelandFarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014
This is the first time that I have tried to hatch ducks. I have one duck that has been trying to hatch since yesterday morning. She pipped around 11am and still isnt out of her shell. I can hear her and see her beak. I tried assisting her and pulled back the shell put got some of the membrane by accident. So she is bleeding now :( I then put a warm paper towel around the egg. I don’t know if I should help her further or wait. Its been 30 hours since she pipped. Everything that I read on the internet tells me that ducks should be hatched by 24 hours. I would greatly appreciate any help!! Please and thank you!!

Here is a picture of the egg. I peeled back some of the egg around 1 pm today. PLEASE help if you have any advice. I feel so bad, I just want to save this little one!

Get a Qtip and try to stop the bleeding, that is VITAL. This is why you NEVER assist a hatch unless you are 100% positive that they can't get out on their own! Ducklings take anywhere from 24-48 hours from pip to hatch, sometimes longer, it's totally normal for them to pip and then stay put for a couple of days while their yolk sac and blood veins finish absorbing. Your little guy may not make it...

I have never hatched ducks before, but I have chicks and have assisted in hatch. This has happened to me and I just did as you have. I would leave it but keep an eye out to make sure it's still alive. If It looks like it's in distress, try and help it out again. My chicks eventually hatched the rest of the way on it's own. Best of luck and I hope someone else on here that knows more than I do and can help you out.

I have never hatched ducks before, but I have chicks and have assisted in hatch. This has happened to me and I just did as you have. I would leave it but keep an eye out to make sure it's still alive. If It looks like it's in distress, try and help it out again. My chicks eventually hatched the rest of the way on it's own. Best of luck and I hope someone else on here that knows more than I do and can help you out.

NO, do not try to help it out any further! Its blood veins aren't done absorbing and that will definitely kill it!

Thank you for all the advice! I will definitely leave it alone and not peel away anymore of its shell. I will get a qtip and try to stop the bleeding. Should I continue to wet the membrane with a q tip as well?

The bleeding has clotted and i wet the membrane. Im hoping and praying for the best :) He sounds strong so im hoping that is a good sign.

For future reference, when do i know when i need to assist the egg? I though that if it was after 24 hours and the membrane was turning tan then they were in trouble and i was to help (learned from reading different things on the internet.) However i now know that with ducks they may need 48 hours to hatch. How do i know when the ducks or chicken are in distress? Any advice would be greatly appreciate :)

The bleeding has clotted and i wet the membrane. Im hoping and praying for the best :) He sounds strong so im hoping that is a good sign.

For future reference, when do i know when i need to assist the egg? I though that if it was after 24 hours and the membrane was turning tan then they were in trouble and i was to help (learned from reading different things on the internet.) However i now know that with ducks they may need 48 hours to hatch. How do i know when the ducks or chicken are in distress? Any advice would be greatly appreciate :)

It depends on the breed, but most ducks are more than strong enough to hatch out on their own unless they're sticky or shrink wrapped, which have definitive signs. From the look of the photo the membrane looks a bit dry, but that's probably just from having the shell peeled back too early. What's your humidity level at?

I'm not a hatching expert like Lacrystol, but I do know one thing for sure, intervening after just 5 hours is jumping the gun in a big way! I'm glad you got the blood flow stopped, just keep an eye on him, let nature take its course and please keep us updated!! If he is shrink wrapped, give him another full day before trying to help him out again, at the bare minimum. He can breathe, so he's not in any immediate danger.

Back
Top Bottom