Help Please! Duck is bleeding while hatching

FreelandFarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014
This is the first time that I have tried to hatch ducks. I have one duck that has been trying to hatch since yesterday morning. She pipped around 11am and still isnt out of her shell. I can hear her and see her beak. I tried assisting her and pulled back the shell put got some of the membrane by accident. So she is bleeding now :( I then put a warm paper towel around the egg. I don’t know if I should help her further or wait. Its been 30 hours since she pipped. Everything that I read on the internet tells me that ducks should be hatched by 24 hours. I would greatly appreciate any help!! Please and thank you!!

I have never hatched ducks before, but I have chicks and have assisted in hatch. This has happened to me and I just did as you have. I would leave it but keep an eye out to make sure it's still alive. If It looks like it's in distress, try and help it out again. My chicks eventually hatched the rest of the way on it's own. Best of luck and I hope someone else on here that knows more than I do and can help you out.

NO, do not try to help it out any further! Its blood veins aren't done absorbing and that will definitely kill it!

Get a Qtip and try to stop the bleeding, that is VITAL. This is why you NEVER assist a hatch unless you are 100% positive that they can't get out on their own! Ducklings take anywhere from 24-48 hours from pip to hatch, sometimes longer, it's totally normal for them to pip and then stay put for a couple of days while their yolk sac and blood veins finish absorbing. Your little guy may not make it...

I have never hatched ducks before, but I have chicks and have assisted in hatch. This has happened to me and I just did as you have. I would leave it but keep an eye out to make sure it's still alive. If It looks like it's in distress, try and help it out again. My chicks eventually hatched the rest of the way on it's own. Best of luck and I hope someone else on here that knows more than I do and can help you out.

I think he is too hot. But I am not a hatcher - I see that incubation temperature is 99.5, but I have been told that the first week, a duckling needs to be at 90F. Hmmmmmm. At what point do we lower the temperature?

edit

Looking at Storey's Guide, I see he mentions that if the incubator has adjustable air vents, they should be regulated to give hatching ducklings additional air, but not opened so wide that too much warm air escapes and humidity drops.

Storey's Guide also says they need 4 to 12 hours to rest and dry off.

Also, says after most of the ducklings are hatched, the relative humidity can be lowered to 50% (82 to 84 degrees F on the wet-bulb thermometer) so they will fluff out properly.

Last edited:
This seemed helpful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

for Muscovy she does lower the temperature a little bit.

"
HATCHING
for temps.. 99.5 ºF (101.5 for still air bators) until the first internal pip ("lockdown" as some call it.. I prefer the term HATCH).. then I drop the temp down to 98 to 98.5 ºF (dropping temp to 100.5 for the still air bators) and increase humidity to 60% or better*** (see note below).. also after the eggs are internally pipped if they are not already laying on their sides.. they should be.. if you have a separate hatcher without a fan then that's even better. If you decide to turn the fan off for your incubator (for those who have that option) keep a very close eye on the temps since the incubator may begin to get too hot and need a temperature adjustment.."

Has he had any water yet? He looks a little too "sleepy", and that make me nervous. If he were mine I would try to get him to sip on some sugar water, and probably give him a drop of Nutri-Drench.

• What temp is the incubator?
  • Are all the vents open?
  • Do his legs and feet feel hot, warm or cool?

FYI, while many chicks and ducklings do fine without food and water for 72 hours, many do not, so getting him to start drinking is very important.

-Kathy

Here is a picture of the egg. I peeled back some of the egg around 1 pm today. PLEASE help if you have any advice. I feel so bad, I just want to save this little one!

Back
Top Bottom