Help Please! Duck is bleeding while hatching

He is the only egg in the incubator. Also he was shivering when the temperature was up at 99....

So I wonder if I should lower the temp if he is shivering at 99. Or is he shivering from something else?

Can you upload a video? The way that works is you upload it to Vimeo or Youtube, then click on the video icon above and enter the url.

Last edited:
Here is a video of my duckling. He's been out of his shell for 10 hours. Should he still be this tired and breathing this heavily?

0.jpg

As I wrote, I am not a hatcher, but after 10 hours I would think he would look drier than that….

Wondering if he has a nutritional deficit - might need some electrolytes and B vitamins. But without his head up, don't know how you might safely give that to him.

@Lacrystol @casportpony what do you think?

Last edited:
Can you upload a video? The way that works is you upload it to Vimeo or Youtube, then click on the video icon above and enter the url.

That's usually not a good sign if it's shaking like that. :/ You gave it sugar water, yes? Have you tried to get some vitamins into the lil' guy? Wobbles was touch and go when he hatched, too. I gave him some crushed B-complex vitamin and some sugar in an eyedropper and it really did him wonders. Remember, it's had some blood loss, birds have evolved to only carry as much blood as is absolutely essential for survival in order to be lightweight, so any blood loss, especially during hatch, can really take its toll.

Edit: Just saw the video. That's not shivering. It looks like muscle spasms of some sort. Give it lots of TLC and keep an eye on it, other than that there isn't much you can do. :/

Last edited:
My most critical guys looked like this after a fully assisted hatch, I was advised to give them Poultry Drench and I did notice them perk up shortly after. It took them a while to fully dry too.

Back
Top Bottom