HELP PLEASE ~ Duckling born with twisted leg

Spraddle foot is an injury from being on slick surfaces. Yours has just hatched, so I don't think it has it. I think is was in the wrong position in the egg, which I kind of consider a "foot fallen asleep". It usually improves within 3 days, so for now I would not bandage anything, because you don't want to interfere with the circulation in the foot. You can do more damage with the bandage this early in the game. Just leave it alone for 3 days and make sure it gets the supplements. You can still bandage it in 3 days if needed. I bet is will be much better tomorrow. Really some of my babies were only able to use one foot and within days they were running so fast you could not tell who had issues.

I put the bandage on his legs for about an hour. It was pulling his good leg back, so that both legs were behind him, so I ended up taking that off and leaving him be for the evening. He tries really hard to stand on his good foot, but I need to figure out a way for him to get the bad foot underneath him like its supposed to me. I also thought it was something of being in the wrong position in the egg. And now, the only way he know how to get around it be scooting on his belly. I believe my next step tonight is going to be similar to one of those "baby bouncers". But he will be stationary with food and water. I've seen some homemade designs and I truely think this will help. He needs to learn to stand strait, and not lean forward (onto his belly). So We're going to give that a shot tonight!

I had made the "duck bouncer" and the little guy has been in there for a full 24 hours now. The leg looks better. Its where it should be, and he is standing on in while in the bouncer. But I dont think that that leg has enough strength in it yet. When I take him out to change the bandace and clean up a little bit, he tries to walk, but cant pull that weird leg up underneath him. So He is going to stay in the bouncer until tomorrow morning and I am going to put some vitamins in his water to see if that helps with the strengeh. I also have been putting him in some water to let him swim. Hopefully that will help with his motor skills and help strengthen that leg.

Please,.. we gotta see the duckling in the duck bouncer,.. pictures please!
big_smile.png

Alright, here's the pics of my wonderful Duck Bouncer~! LOL It works pretty well, its just taking some time for little Duckey to get his balance.
I used an old Rallys plastic cup, cut the bottom of is off where it begins to taper. Then I sat little Duckey in there to see if I needed to trim it down a little, and I did need to. After I cut it down, I placed Medical tape around the rim to keep it from cutting his neck up. Then I cut a little peep hole at the base (or the top of the cup) so I could see his feet. Above that, I cut 4 slits in the cup so that I could place the "Bouncer" tape there. I used that VetWrap that you can get from TSC for the material. Its nice and stretchy and adhears to its self. I made an "X" with the VetWrap and cut 3 holes in the center of the X. 2 for his feet and one for his poo to drop through. I placed the Vetwrap through the slits and made sure Duckey could stand on his own without floating. I wanted him to stand, but also be able to relax if he needed. I then took 2 bottle tops, taped them to the sides with the medical tape, making sure they were off to the sides so Duckey wouldnt drown if he fell asleep. After I got Duckey into the bouncer, I took a regular bandaid and taped his feet to each other, with a proper gap between them. This would help correct his Backwards leg AND keep him from ecaping. Hes been in here for about 36 hours now and you can see from one of the pictures that he is standing on the leg. I do take him out once or twice a day to rinse off his bouncer and I put him in a tub of water so he can swim and stretch. Hope you all enjoy the photos! lol

66571_dscf8001.jpg

66571_dscf8003.jpg

66571_dscf8004.jpg

I think this may work. Wing deformities can usually be fixed early on with wrapping for 3 days. I wonder how he will be in 3 days. It would be great if he gains some good usage of the foot. He looks kind of sad in it, but hey 3 days is nothing compared to the rest of his life.

wee.gif

I love the duck bouncer.
He has support, but can move.
What a concept, and 3 days is nothing if he can get it right.
and thinking about the drinking cup off to the side so he doesnt fall asleep in it.
Inspired!
Great stuff.
bow.gif

katharina,
did you already mention extra niacin?
i dont remember if you did in this thread specifically.

Back
Top Bottom