Help Please!!! Fairly new Pekin Duck mom!!!!

robbla68

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
I have had my ducks for several months. I have figure that I have 2 males and 1 female. The female typically lays 1 egg a day. For the past 2 weeks she has not laid an egg but she will consistently sit in an empty nesting box. Why? There are no eggs. She has gotten out but gone right back after eating. Why and is there anything I need to be doing?

She's broody which means that she's trying to hatch out babies, even though there are not eggs under her, it's just her imagination. Let her lay some more eggs or put some more of her eggs that she laid before under her and maybe she can hatch them out!!!! I would also suggest that you either get more females or get rid of one of your males, because they may begin to be a bit aggressive over her.

you need to get rid of a male or buy more females.

she is broody. when they are broody they dont lay eggs. I have a hen (chicken) who does it about once a month, i just put her i a rabbit cage by herself or 2-3 days and she gets over it. lol i was just remembering my 5 year old cuzin was at my house visiting last week and to better explain it to him, i said she was a bad chicken, and we had to put her in the cage to punish her.

Anyway, i guess your duck eggs are all in the fridge right? then they wont hatch, so just let her get through it. shes eating, right? mine wont eat, just sit in the box 24/7

Thanks everyone!!! Yes, all the duck eggs are in the fridge!!! I have 6 chickens as well that live with the ducks and they all look at Ms. Daisy Duck as if she has serious issues!!!! The boys are always waiting around for her to get done doing what she is doing. I don't have a separation area for a new duck intro. If I add another female to the bunch will they be territorial or should I just let them work it out???

you neeeed to get more hens. the poor girl is probably worn out lol. they say you should have one drake to 3 hens. they will always be a little more territorial but they get over it. my ducks are so good with introducing new ducks they are very good. i usually introduce a duckling that is just on the brink of quacking because i feel like they look at it as not a threat. that has always worked out for me. gl.

Back
Top Bottom