Help, please: First time w/ chicks, blood in poop

tmh59

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
Hi! I am new to chickens, and got six chicks on Thursday, they were born Tuesday. I've been worried about one of the Barred Rock chicks since soon after moving them into their brooder. On her first day here, she seemed really lethargic, ruffled feathers and kind of out of it. At first, she kept falling asleep under the drinking bottle, and then she eventually went under the heat plate and mostly stayed there, while the other five chicks were very curious and moving in and out of the heat plate, scratching, eating etc.

Then, this morning, she was moving around with the other chicks -- eating and drinking and I was feeling really optimistic for her! But then, I saw her poop. The first time, it was bloody (photo) and the second time it was kind of a clear liquid with a yellow sticky/mucus center.

The chicks are not vaccinated for coccidiosis, but they have been on medicated chick starter grower feed (MannaPro brand) since yesterday. They have been drinking plain water. For now, I'm keeping them in a play pen w/ puppy pads covered in paper towels on the ground -- at least for the first couple days. I've changed it three times in the past 24 hours.

But, I'm really worried about the Barred Rock chick becoming sicker and sicker, and potentially infecting the rest.

Any advice for what to do? :( Thanks in advance, I've been frantically googling and feeling super worried.

(A few specific questions:

-- Do you think it's coccidiosis? And if so, I have liquid Corrid. Should I continue to keep them in the same pen, and use that?
-- Can I put probiotics in the water at the same time?
-- Should I stop feeding the medicated food, and start them on non-medicated food? If so, can you switch completely or does it have to be gradual/mixing the foods a bit.)

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

• 182667502_10165309121140710_1564548569608486569_n.jpg
    182667502_10165309121140710_1564548569608486569_n.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 182865206_10165309137475710_53451839744699276_n.jpg
    182865206_10165309137475710_53451839744699276_n.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 17
Monitor the chick's behavior, treating something your not sure of might endanger the chick. Make sure your brooder is at the right temperature, it's OK to have it slightly warmer especially if there under a week old. Hope the chick gets better soon.

Thanks very much.

I moved her into a separate area — mostly so I could watch how she was eating and drinking closer, plus pooping. And, I’m wondering if you think that’s necessary?

She really perks up when she hears my voice and she just seems — even more lethargic alone.

The five other chicks are in a large portable puppy play pen with a RentACoop heater plate.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a second heater plate, so she is in a cardboard box with a read heat lamp.

Both she and the group now have non-medicated food and water with corrid and probiotics at someone else’s suggestion but — man — I’m just now no longer sure that was the right move?

Thoughts?

Our sick girl is still very tiny and listless compared to the others. I gave her some egg yolk by syringe this evening.

Thanks again! Hoping we can keep her around 😔

Thanks very much.

I moved her into a separate area — mostly so I could watch how she was eating and drinking closer, plus pooping. And, I’m wondering if you think that’s necessary?

She really perks up when she hears my voice and she just seems — even more lethargic alone.

The five other chicks are in a large portable puppy play pen with a RentACoop heater plate.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a second heater plate, so she is in a cardboard box with a read heat lamp.

Both she and the group now have non-medicated food and water with corrid and probiotics at someone else’s suggestion but — man — I’m just now no longer sure that was the right move?

Thoughts?

Our sick girl is still very tiny and listless compared to the others. I gave her some egg yolk by syringe this evening.

Thanks again! Hoping we can keep her around 😔
Her most recent poops aren’t as red — but she now has a bald spot. And to note: Since we brought her home, her backside/butt sort of pulse.
6584EE61-6CF7-436E-A11B-01993DE0158C.jpeg
5AAFF927-932E-4C30-AB7D-4D7487156382.jpeg
C6D25E90-66D8-44D3-A373-823198BB0B95.jpeg

I would keep her with the others, due to the social aspect, as long as she is able to eat and drink without issue (like not being pushed away by the stronger chicks).

The entire group should have access to the Corid water regardless, because if that's what it is, you want them to be getting it in their systems before any symptoms show up.

Have you considered giving your baby mash feed, it's easier to digest. That's what my chicks are on right now. They are all healthy with zero issues.

You don't need her in a separate brooder, consider putting her back with group. She will thrive better with her buddies around.

Back
Top Bottom