help please! I'm a newbie and I think they have pasty butt

afriel

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
I just got 19 chicks shipped, yesterday. I have 1 container of save a chick antibiotics and electrolyte with water, an another container of fresh water, an I have started them on medicated feed...over Half of them appear to have pasty butt. I have a thermometer in there (aquarium) that is reading 85 deg...I know that's low, but they aren't huddled and appear to be happy...could I have the wrong type thermometer? what do I do to take care of pasty butt? I read in another forum that a lady lost a few chicks after trying to clean them off..everyone on there thought that maybe they had gotten too cold. how quickly do I have to get it done? is there anyway it would go away without intervention?I'm scared of losing my chicks. other than the goop o. their butts, they seem very active and healthy

It won't go away without help I'm adraid and could actually kill them. You'll need to take a warm wet washcloth and clean them off. You'll need to keep an eye on them because they mat develop it again.good luck.

What's the best way to keep them warm once I get them out from under the water?

Its best not to put them into the water but just use a warm rag to clean them. The chill and possibility of aspriation could cause them to become ill or kill them.

Back
Top Bottom