Help please is this a allergy to shavings

Tuxedoquailowner

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2021
My 14 quail have been fine (so far) up until 2 days ago when a mail ended up clawing one of my females eyes all up.. I always used Aspen bedding with them all up until the same day her eyes got clawed up and tractors supply had run out of Aspen so we got pine shavings..I brought her in the house in a storage tub cuz right after her eyes got clawed up they started turning pink like puffy.. so yesterday morning when I got u her poor eyes were nearly swelled shut and she would do a slight sneeze every 4 or 5 hrs..it got to the point her eyes were so swelled she'd try to eat or drink and totally miss and just peck around it.. so last night I started holding her food and water u to her every few min so she didn't have to struggle all throughout the night plus I put Neosporin on a separate q tip for each eye (so I didn't cross contaminated) ..so I got up to day and she had a little bit of yellow along one of her eyes..so I continued to feed her water with a syringe and applied a normal eye wash saline 2 times back to back this morning and she finally started walking around a little more as the day went on..I had just call vets across 4 states cuz no one treats quail around me..any help at all would be greatly greatly appreciated..since no vets are familiar with treating quail in 4 states around me.. I feed my females the layena Purina feed with additional crushed oyster shells and water and dumor chick grit..I feed my males Purina 30% game bird feed water and the dumor chick grit..(my males have no been removed from my females and placed in their own area.. can someone please tell me if she might be having a severe allergic reaction to the shavings or if anyone has had any thing like this happen..all 14 we're perfectly fine until she got her eyes scratched and I changed their bedding..I clean their coop every 2 days out totally and replace it with new bedding.. I am constantly changing their food and water out every time the use the bathroom in it all day.. hopefully she is the only one but kinda odd her eyes puff up so bad she can barely see after she gets them scratched and I changed the bedding..any help or thoughts please???she got out of the pine shavings and put a puppy pad under her all day today

Attachments

• 2_IMG_20210928_130112_716.jpg
    2_IMG_20210928_130112_716.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1_IMG_20210928_130142_462.jpg
    1_IMG_20210928_130142_462.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 3_IMG_20210928_131318_970.jpg
    3_IMG_20210928_131318_970.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I've never seen a quail allergic to pine shavings, but the only way to find out is to do what you've done, which is take her off of the pine shavings. If she gets better, and you put her back on the pine shavings and the same symptoms occur, she's probably allergic.

Looking at those pictures, it looks more like an infection than allergies to me, though.

I hope she gets better soon!

Are you certain she got scratched in the eyes and then got swollen? I’m thinking she got swollen and then one or more of the others picked on the swollen pink area. Most eye injuries will either be one side only, because they had the sense to hide after the first attack, or you’ll see a lot of other cuts, scrapes, punctures around the head and neck. Also, are you certain she’s a girl? I’ve had males scalp hens who wouldn’t submit, but they grab them, try to get them to bend down, and peck them when they don’t. Ive never seen a male kick a female, they do kick other males though.

I've never seen a quail allergic to pine shavings, but the only way to find out is to do what you've done, which is take her off of the pine shavings. If she gets better, and you put her back on the pine shavings and the same symptoms occur, she's probably allergic.

Looking at those pictures, it looks more like an infection than allergies to me, though.

I hope she gets better soon!
Thanks for responding nabiki..I'll try that (keeping her away from the pine shavings)and hopefully she will be ok.. you mentioned infection..would you happen to know what kind it might be or what I can do for her to help her (since I don't have any vets ANYWHERE near me that could help her)

Thanks for responding nabiki..I'll try that (keeping her away from the pine shavings)and hopefully she will be ok.. you mentioned infection..would you happen to know what kind it might be or what I can do for her to help her (since I don't have any vets ANYWHERE near me that could help her)
You can do a search for mycoplasma or MS, which commonly presents as swollen sinus areas around the eyes.

Are you certain she got scratched in the eyes and then got swollen? I’m thinking she got swollen and then one or more of the others picked on the swollen pink area. Most eye injuries will either be one side only, because they had the sense to hide after the first attack, or you’ll see a lot of other cuts, scrapes, punctures around the head and neck. Also, are you certain she’s a girl? I’ve had males scalp hens who wouldn’t submit, but they grab them, try to get them to bend down, and peck them when they don’t. Ive never seen a male kick a female, they do kick other males though.
Thanks for replying floor candy .I'm a brand new quail owner- literally 2 weeks so Im not sure if she's even a "she" we purchased 10 tuxedos and only 2 we're supposed to be male but I've actually caught 5 trying to submit the other 5 and immediately removed those trying to mount and put them in a cage by themselves..the males feet are always dangerous ly close to the females face so I'm assuming she got clawed.. but now that u mention it I'm not even sure how to tell who a boy or girl other than the seller said listen for them crow or see if any mount the others then there's ur males so I'm literally brand new at this..would u have any suggestions on how to care for her judging by the picture I posted cuz I do not have any vets in 4 surrounding states that treat quail..if u have any tips I'd greatly appreciate any and all help.. thanks:)and thanks from r letting me know they only kick males

Back
Top Bottom