Help PLEASE! My Pekin is losing feathers (not molting), can't walk and her tail is completely down.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Valkyrisa, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Valkyrisa

Valkyrisa New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    My Pekin momma is 11 months old and just a few hours ago she can't stand or walk, is losing a ton of feathers but is NOT molting. She is eating drinking fine, I have checked her for cuts, breaks, ticks, anything abnormal and there is nothing. I live in Michigan so the weather has been mild. I am at a loss as to what is wrong with her. There is no avian vet within over a hundred miles. Could these symptoms be caused from egg binding? I have never dealt with it before, but just in case it is I have her in her second warm bath with some apple cider vinegar in the water. I think I feel 2 eggs but am not positive. Any help at all from anyone who has experience with any of these symptoms would be sooooooo greatly appreciated. I can't stand to see momma in pain. Actually, she doesn't seem to be in pain, it's just that seeing momma in this shape is painful for me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    If she's egg bound they'll look and walk like a penguin. Is she looking like that?

3. Valkyrisa

Valkyrisa New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    no, her legs aren't working for walking. She can move them some in the tub. Do ducks molt like chickens?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Yes, ducks molt like chickens.

5. Valkyrisa

Valkyrisa New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    Also, her tail is completely down and messy, which has never happened before either?!?! Does anyone know what this is a symptom of? If anything.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. Valkyrisa

Valkyrisa New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    Thank you for replying, it is appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by