Help please, Neck feathers missing, but not molting :(

kailee144

Hatching
Feb 22, 2015

Recently my Cochin started losing her neck feathers, it has been a few weeks and they are not growing back (she has never molted before) there are no pins for new feathers and her neck is dry and scaly. I just noticed my Americana is starting to do the same (she has not molted either). All my chickens are almost 1 year old.

I am so worried for my ladies, they are still eating well and laying eggs. They have a huge run and get to free-range often, so I do not think they are bored. All my chickens get along, there is no bully's and they do not pick on each other which makes me so happy.

I read somewhere it could be bugs, but I do not see anything on them. Any ideas? I am unsure what to do?
Thank you so much, a worried chicken momma

Moulting usually does begin at the head and neck but it usually doesn't happen until 18 months of age. And their production of eggs should of stopped... I don't think it's molting.. Probably nice or pecking from another bird

I also quoted this from someone who answered on a similar topic.....I just had some guys in my rooster pen develop naked necks. I checked them over and found bird mites and gnat bites. ( the wild birds were coming into the run to enjoy the cold water and fresh snacks during our heat wave and I think they shared their bugs!) The gnats, I think, are buffalo gnats and they drink blood- the birds lose their feathers trying to scratch the nasty things off! Take a look at the necks and combs and see if you can catch any gnats in action on your birds. I ended up bathing all of my roosters in adam's shampoo to kill the mites, I avoided soaping up their raw combs but I did wash those w/ plain water on a cloth, then I sprayed them w/ adam's mist once they were dry. I also turned the bedding in the run and dusted it w/ sevin and added more DE to the spots the guys like to dust bathe in. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your responses. We ended up cleaning the whole coop, bleaching it out, putting new bedding and got a natural spray and powder for the birds to remove any mites. I moved my 2 ladies, missing feathers into their own coop. I'm watching to see if they get better, we have inspected them many times and have seen no bugs which is weird. We are unsure if they were getting picked on that is why the feathers are gone. Going to watch for a bit, to make sure they get better and I'm making chicken toys to keep them entertained. Thank you again :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom