Help please! Polish head injuy!

Isabella_animale

Songster
Sep 3, 2020
Help me please! My sweet 5 month old polish pullet "Cindy Lou" got a bunch of head feathers pecked out by my tiny fiesty bantam hen. I love this girl so much please help me! What do I do? She is currently quarantined in a cat crate sleeping because I don't know what to do!
20201229_123048.jpg

When my polish hens were pecked on the heads, I would start spraying the bare skin with BluKote to hide the bare skin. It worked on my chickens where they could stay in the flock, but I would repeat the BluKote every 2 days until feathers grew back in a few weeks. Be sure to observe their behavior, because BluKote may not work for your chickens.

I had 2 polish in a large mixed flock, and they would get head feathers pulled out about once a year. If you catch it early, you can start treating early before they sustain a bad injury.

That injury isn't that bad but she might not grow her feathers until she molts. I would at least give the skin time to heal. Keeping it moist with a little antibiotic ointment should suffice. Poor baby! My little Polish doesn't get picked on but even with a haircut she is very ditzy. She is a very sweet girl. (My profile pic)

When my polish hens were pecked on the heads, I would start spraying the bare skin with BluKote to hide the bare skin. It worked on my chickens where they could stay in the flock, but I would repeat the BluKote every 2 days until feathers grew back in a few weeks. Be sure to observe their behavior, because BluKote may not work for your chickens.

I had 2 polish in a large mixed flock, and they would get head feathers pulled out about once a year. If you catch it early, you can start treating early before they sustain a bad injury.

Thank you so much for the help! Is this the right thing?
Screenshot_20201229-131326_Tractor Supply.jpg

That injury isn't that bad but she might not grow her feathers until she molts. I would at least give the skin time to heal. Keeping it moist with a little antibiotic ointment should suffice. Poor baby! My little Polish doesn't get picked on but even with a haircut she is very ditzy. She is a very sweet girl. (My profile pic)

Thank you. Your girl is gorgeous!🥰

Help me please! My sweet 5 month old polish pullet "Cindy Lou" got a bunch of head feathers pecked out by my tiny fiesty bantam hen. I love this girl so much please help me! What do I do? She is currently quarantined in a cat crate sleeping because I don't know what to do!View attachment 2467358
I have a similar problem with my 2 year old polish girl who came to be as a baby with the injury. She is in with another 8 Pekin bantams and the wee soul has never had the chance to grow them back as every time they come in they are pecked out again. I have tried the bluekote and it didn’t work - even though I applied it every couple of days. I was worried about her going through winter with a bare head but she has survived 2 Scottish winters. I tried making a little helmet for her with a piece of kinesiology tape shaped into a circle (the type of sticky tape athletes use as this is a kind tape) but this kept falling off. When the skin looks broken or very dry I apply some Camrosa ointment which is a balm. The thing is she is quite feisty for a Polish and could quite easily chase the others off but she just stands there and lets them pick off her feathers until she gets fed up with it and walks off. She has learned to live with it and so have I, but I would like to hear if anyone else has a solution.

I have a similar problem with my 2 year old polish girl who came to be as a baby with the injury. She is in with another 8 Pekin bantams and the wee soul has never had the chance to grow them back as every time they come in they are pecked out again. I have tried the bluekote and it didn’t work - even though I applied it every couple of days. I was worried about her going through winter with a bare head but she has survived 2 Scottish winters. I tried making a little helmet for her with a piece of kinesiology tape shaped into a circle (the type of sticky tape athletes use as this is a kind tape) but this kept falling off. When the skin looks broken or very dry I apply some Camrosa ointment which is a balm. The thing is she is quite feisty for a Polish and could quite easily chase the others off but she just stands there and lets them pick off her feathers until she gets fed up with it and walks off. She has learned to live with it and so have I, but I would like to hear if anyone else has a solution.

I didn't know others were in this position too. Its been a few months now and I rehomed the bantam but she still hasn't grown it back because she lives with her chochin she grew up with and I think she's pecking it off. Still a plus that I rehomed the bantam though because my chochin just pulls them off without making it bloody. I feel it will never grow back so I will also try to keep her warm in the winter but I'd really like a solution to fix this. She loves her sis so they can't be separated or they both go crazy. The Camrosa balm I'm going to try because it's getting real dry.. Ive also tried bluekote and doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom