Help please, possible coccidiosis

RuBee

Chirping
Nov 29, 2018
Central Virginia
I got back into chicken keeping in September. I have a small flock, only four hens, but I've lost three. One was egg bound. I suspect the other two had coccidious. The first one was early on and died within 24 hours. The last one died in January. By the time I figured out the problem and got medicine she had died. I suspect a third hen has it, but am not sure. Should I treat the whole flock now just to be safe?

I got back into chicken keeping in September. I have a small flock, only four hens, but I've lost three. One was egg bound. I suspect the other two had coccidious. The first one was early on and died within 24 hours. The last one died in January. By the time I figured out the problem and got medicine she had died. I suspect a third hen has it, but am not sure. Should I treat the whole flock now just to be safe?
If you suspect cocci, always treat even if you're not sure. Cocci is very dangerous to your birds and works fast. I had 15 chicks before I knew what it was and all but 3 died. Even if they don't have it, treat them just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom