HELP! Please, private pond laws

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Can someone who is good at deciphering this sort of thing please help me out here? I would like to install a non-permanent and small aquaponic system in my back yard. It is private property and fenced, and all that good stuff. There are no waterways or bodies of water anywhere near me. I have a 60 gallon corner tub that will be the fish tank. This project is mainly for educational purposes to see if I can make a working system, for feeding my husband and myself, and to see if I am able to kill animals I raise starting with fish.

I am really wanting to have about 3-4 channel catfish and 8-16 half pound to 1 pound black crappie. Might have to do less to make sure I have a large enough water buffer for a beginner system, but that is about the number my system should be able to support without pushing the fish to gallon ratio. I believe both are game fish in this state. I...don't really know what that means, as I am just starting to get into fishing under the guidance of a coworker.

This is the literature I found from our state DWR about private ponds:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/fish_ponds.php

http://wildlife.utah.gov/rules/R657-59.php

http://ag.utah.gov/divisions/animal/fish/documents/aq_LicensedFacilitiesAndSpecies.pdf
I may have to settle for bluegill, as crappie aren't on this list...do you really have to only get fish from these few sources?! And what the heck are "aa species"? Or, does this:
You can purchase fish at one of several commercial fish hatcheries located in Utah and adjacent states. The hatcheries must be approved, disease-free facilities and must be licensed by the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food (UDAF). For more information on commercial fish growers that meet these criteria, contact the UDAF at (801) 538-7029
mean that I can use other hatcheries that meet the criteria?

Would the private pond permit ($100 license for 5 years) be the only permit I need for what I am planning, or are there any additional permits that need to be obtained?

I sent an email to our DWR branch weeks ago asking about all this, but still no reply (I do not want to call if I don't have to for privacy reasons).

Thanks!

Haha, but it is legally a pond? As far as I know, game fish can not be taken live from the wild...or I'd be using them to stock my fish bowl.
big_smile.png
Will this permit cover my possession of channel cats and crappie/bluegill?

I do want to do it legally in this case since they are game fish. But...having a hard time finding out what legal is.
th.gif

I'm all for law and order.

As long as the law makes sense.

Me? I'd do what I wanted in that small of a "pond" and just keep quiet about it.

but that's just my "survivalist, don't stick your gubberment nose in my business" country boy attitude, so don't listen to me.
wink.png

Haha, it is *super* tempting for such a small and closed up system. But, I think I'm bound to the law so I can order fingerlings (and don't suggest fishing for them...you'll make me cry. I've only managed to catch one, ONE fish in my whooole life...and it wasn't even edible. Forget fishing for individual species).

Just some thoughts or questions.

Do you intend to "grow" fish in this tank or just "store" them for future use? Is the intent to keep a private but commercial type set up? Wouldn't that entail quite a bit of work and expense? Wouldn't it fall under a "back yard water feature"? Couldn't you just ask a landscaper who does business in your area about what is involved in putting in a water feature? Surely they wouldn't install a water fall or Coy pond with out the proper permits right?

I wish you success,

Rancher

Hey Rancher, the main concern is with the fish themselves. I think no one would question this, er, water feature, but the game fish are what makes it something I want to make sure I have my backside covered. I could just see me shipping in fingerlings that had CHANNEL CATFISH plastered on the box and getting a nice little visit from the DWR. XD

Oh, never mind.
lol.png
But you do know Coy are just colorful carp and you can eat carp right.
gig.gif
However if you have a hatchery in the state you might want to give them a call and see what they have to say. My SIL works for the NY hatchery. Your state may be different.

I hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom