Help please! Pullet wheezing

If anyone sees this in the future and is wondering what happened - she ended up passing away 6 days after first showing symptoms. I took her in for a necropsy and she had fungus in her trachea which completely blocked it and suffocated her. The final report was, most likely, Aspergillosis.
Other than that she was apparently in good condition with no other issues.

Others may suggest differently but in most cases, conjectured use of antibiotics in cases of only dyspnea, and no other symptoms like nasal/oculur discharge are contradicted due to the subsequent susceptible environment of the respiratory system which may allow the growth of fungi like Aspergillus to flourish, and make the problem severely worse. Before antibiotic use, a culture taken from the trachea to identify if bacteria is a concern would be a safer route to take.

View attachment 2427716

The abnormal sounds your hen is making is suggestive that there is something blocking, and interfering with her breathing, and her syrinx from producing sounds. Whether that be inflammation in the trachea, fungal spores growing inside, or a piece of material in the trachea it's impossible to tell without diagnostic procedures. If I were to guess, I would have to go with the material in her trachea, as it's likely her condition would be worsening with a bacterial, or fungal problem not getting better.

There is not much anyone can suggest over the internet, so if she continues to do the sounds, a vet would be your best bet.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm?CustID=27535705
I took her in for a necropsy and she had fungus completely blocking her trachea down to the syrinx. The final report came back as Aspergillosis :hmm.

Back
Top Bottom