HELP Please...Shipping Eggs Question Dont know WHERE to post

GypsyChic

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
MO
Please forgive me, not really sure where to post this subject.
I've been shipping eggs up until a few days ago when our temps are so cold (down in the teens at night) I dont feel comfortable doing so. What I've been told is to send them with heat packs, and I tried it for the first time today. My question is, is there anyone like UPS who can guarantee delivery where temps arent below freezing in truck, and do any of you know where I can get heat packs that last more than just 'hours'??? Any help or additional info would be MOST appreciated.

Blessings!

Oooh, good question. I have been wondering this for the other end, as a buyer, if there was a way I could pay extra for shipping eggs. *bump*

I used to buy them to put in with shipped fish. Get the 72 hour Uniheat brand. They have the longest and most consistent heat output... will stay right around 100 degrees for 72 hours. Stay away from the 40 hour heat pack as it will spike to about 150 degrees and then start dropping to 130 degrees or so. There used to be many sellers on ebay where you could buy 5 or 10 at a time. Lot's of online reptile suppliers and shipping suppliers that carry them as well. You shouldn't pay more than 2.00 a piece for them in smaller quantities. I always activated them 2 or 3 hours before shipping as they all will start off a little high on temps for the first few hours. Do not put them in direct contact with the eggs. I still tried to ship within 2 days to ensure that the fish arrived before the heat pack ran out. USPS Express or UPS/FedEx second day usually. USPS Priority is ok if they are going somewhere that is within a 2 day delivery. Probably the biggest chance of eggs freezing is on the receiving end. I think that most of the trip the packages stay in areas that won't freeze but it's the sitting in the mailbox or the front door step for 6 hours until someone gets home that will do them in.

It is not necessary to put a heat pack in the box, in fact I would think it is detrimental to development.

Just put a note on the box "DO NOT ATTEMPT DELIVERY, PLEASE CALL FOR PICK UP XXX-XXXX".

I do this on all my eggs, have never had any freeze.

I was going to send some eggs out tomorrow (Monday) and was going to put freezer packs in there with the eggs, not frozen of course, but warm, around 95 degrees. I figured if they stayed cold and it took a lot of calories and time to thaw them, maybe it would take a lot of time and they could absorb a lot of cold before they froze... anyone ever try that?

Does anyone know if Express mail results in better handling. I have not had eggs freeze, (and it's been cold a few times) but I swear the USPS uses my egg boxes for an impromptu soccer match on occasion. Someone told me Express mail is hand transferred, whatever THAT means.

Well I sure appreciate all the help. Gonna go get on ebay and see what's available. I know the feeling about good ole USPS using boxes as soccer balls, had a couple show up that way here
hmm.png
Am also going to contact UPS and see what their rates/proceedures are for 2nd day ship/transport. Have an order going to OR, and was told even though USPS states 2-3 days, they can take up to 5 days to deliver. That kinda hacks me off, especially with the new raised rates. If anyone else has anymore info or ideas, would love to hear them. Thanks again gang...

pips&peeps :

It is not necessary to put a heat pack in the box, in fact I would think it is detrimental to development.

Just put a note on the box "DO NOT ATTEMPT DELIVERY, PLEASE CALL FOR PICK UP XXX-XXXX".

I do this on all my eggs, have never had any freeze.

I agree; what McMurray does is it just puts the name and post office on the box, with a large note that says 'For delivery, call ______', which works well. You could do that, too!​

I just read on another thread that USPS has a "special handling" service for an extra fee. It applies to live plants and animals as I understand. Might want to check into it.

Back
Top Bottom