Help Please Sick hen in my flock!

Kmmaslac

Hatching
Nov 4, 2016
North Carolina
I'm so sad to say that one of hens is sick. I noticed she was a bit off last night when she didn't go up to roost with the others. This morning I found her laying in the middle of the coop on her side. Both of her legs were laid out and twitching off and on. I immediately put her in the chicken "hospital" just in case she's contagious. I gave her some electrolytes right away and she slowly drank about 3ml worth. She is still not standing up, but is eating her food ( I mixed it with water) and drinking on her own. I did noticed a lot of tiny black bugs on her, but have used some DE and they seem to be clearing out. She does not have any cloudy eyes and no blood anywhere on her body. She is about 15 weeks old and hasn't started laying yet. She's a petite and stunning blue laced red. Please let me know what else I can do or what it could be.. I hate the thought of losing her.

Are your birds vaccinated for Mareks? If she is showing signs of paralysis/unable to walk this would be my first thought. Also, if she is severly infested with mites/lice she could simply be weak from anemia. Are your other hens reluctant to get on the roost? Do they have bugs - you should treat them all.
The DE will work ok for now, but I highly recommend some poultry dust. My regime is dust with poultry dust and then 7 days later use DE. That was I know they are getting overloaded with permethrin. You will also need to clean out the coop and sprinkle liberally with poultry dust, especially in nooks and crannies.
Please keep us posted, I'm hoping it's anemia.....
fl.gif

My chickens are not vaccinated , but we do hatch them ourselves and haven't introduced birds from elsewhere to our flock in over a year.. we also have people (who have a flock) spray vinegar on their shoes to help keep out sickness.All of the other hens appear to be fine and went up to roost. I treated them all with DE and will get some poultry dust in the morning. None of my other chickens have mites that I saw and I checked each one. I just got finished cleaning out the coop and all of the feeders and water containers. The mites seem to be gone on her, but she is still laying on her side and her legs are still twitching. I mixed a small amount of sugar in her water to interest her more in the fluids.. and she just pooped and it looked normal. I really hope this isn't Mareks.. I am extremely attached to my chicken flock and don't want anymore to get sick.

I have checked all of her joints and she doesn't seem to be hurt. I feel like if she hurt her leg she would be hopping around not laying on her side unable to get up. I wish it was something simple like that though ..hate seeing her sick

Marek's was the first thing that came to mind for me, but I would also recommend checking her rear end for signs of hardness or swelling. Sometimes IME when chickens refuse to walk it is because of a laying issue
Hope she is well soon :)

I have such great news- against all odds my hen has pulled through! Today for the first time she is finally standing up, and walking back in forth in the kennel I placed her in! We moved her inside due to the cold, and she has such a huge appetite! I have been continually giving her electrolytes and making sure she eats. I am so happy and relieved! She was in such bad shape. I will continue to monitor her- she still needs to regain some strength.. but hope to add her back to the flock within a few days. Thank you for all the advice!

I have such great news- against all odds my hen has pulled through! Today for the first time she is finally standing up, and walking back in forth in the kennel I placed her in! We moved her inside due to the cold, and she has such a huge appetite! I have been continually giving her electrolytes and making sure she eats. I am so happy and relieved! She was in such bad shape. I will continue to monitor her- she still needs to regain some strength.. but hope to add her back to the flock within a few days. Thank you for all the advice!

I am glad to she she is feeling better!
Good work nursing her back momma!

Great news! Well done
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom