Help please!! Very sick quail!!

AngelASun

Hatching
Sep 10, 2023
The past day Ive noticed my female(almost 3 years old) quail throwing water/mucus? I’m only 16 so I am not able to take her to a vet, and it is hard finding one that treats quails where I live. She has other symptoms like being very lethargic, not moving, can’t walk very well and her feathers are really fluffy all the time. Her chest area is very soft and tender, while her behind is rock hard. I can feel her bones a little too. We have been feeding her garlic water, as I heard it deworms them. We also feed her baby chick food with antibiotics hoping it will help. We have called a few vets and they all said to bring her in for an examination, but that is hard for me to do. I really need help, we are at a lost. What can we do to make her feel better? Is there anything we can do? Please please help!

Please state your general location. What has the weather been like?

Do you mean she has been regurgitating water and mucous? Has she been sneezing and does she have watery eyes? When you say chest area, is it her crop you are talking about or her whole breast? Does the crop feel larger than normal and is it spongy like a water balloon?

Garlic water won't fix anything, and certainly won't get rid of worms. Birds really shouldn't have garlic as it contains a toxin that in enough quantities is toxic to birds. I know, many people swear it's the ultimate fix-all. That doesn't make it so.

The past day Ive noticed my female(almost 3 years old) quail throwing water/mucus?

She has other symptoms like being very lethargic, not moving, can’t walk very well and her feathers are really fluffy all the time. Her chest area is very soft and tender, while her behind is rock hard.

We have been feeding her garlic water, as I heard it deworms them. We also feed her baby chick food with antibiotics hoping it will help.
Can you get photos of her poop and of her?

What do you normally feed her? You mention giving chick starter with an antibiotic - where are you located in the world? In the U.S. most all "medicated" chick starters contain Amprol/Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic.

Is she a Coturnix Quail? Has she been laying eggs? Any issues with laying? At 3yrs of age she may be starting to decline due to age alone, but it's a good idea to check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

How is she kept? Photos of your setup may be helpful.

I agree, I'd stop the garlic water. Offer her plain fresh water, check the crop to see if it's emptying.
The medicated chick starter won't hurt her, but it doesn't have antibiotics if you are in the U.S.

You mention her behind is rock hard - do you mean her vent or her abdomen below the vent between her legs? Quail hens can be a bit bony around the vent, but it should not be hard at the vent or under the vent, it should be more like it's soft and pliable.

Back
Top Bottom