Help Please........What did I just Buy??? Update..PICS

Here's another pic.

12476_dscf0558.jpg

A friend of mine has some cornish crosses that he forages. They are well over a year old and going strong, but he doesn't feed them much. He actually gets eggs off the hens. He just didn't kill them all and runs them with the barred rocks. You wouldn't know they were crosses except they look like really big (wide breasted) white rocks and their ankles are huge.

Edited to say, doesn't sound like the ones I raised and killed. Mine only moved around to eat. Their chests were almost bare and always covered in mess because they were always laying down.

Last edited:
I'm going to say they are mature cornish x's that have probably grown up being treated like a layer, rainging and being somewhat restricted on diet so can stand. They appear to be at least 4 months old to me since I see clear hackles there ont he roos. I'd go ahead and taste one of the roosters and see how he turns out on the table since you'll have to downsize the roos either way. And if he's tasty and not tough, probably all meaties, perhaps of the "slow" variety that sometiems grow slower.

Edit: Roos are only 12 lbs? My cornish x roos were well over 12 lbs alive when they were 8/9 weeks old. Howver... feeding regimine can make a HUGE difference on growth rate. Mine were being fed out as broilers on broiler food....

Quote:
No. That's what has me wondering. They DON"T look like a frankenstein exp. and my other meaties did. I only did the cornish x once.

There legs are short and VERY husky.

Also, I said they didn't lay. Well, she has had them in a coop/run without additional lighting and with the metal roof it was dark in there. Maybe THAT'S why they're not laying.

The part that throws me is the real red combs and wattles and the alertness. They were real hard to catch and get in cages to bring them here today. The are super strong.

Maybe they're somebody's home grown cornish rocks. I suppose if someone had their own cornish roo and white rock hens they could get birds like these and not the selectively bred mutants the hatcheries sell.

Those are not White Giants. We kept 2 Cornish roos and they are about a year old. Since they free range they look and act like a "normal" chicken and lost alot of their "fat" because they are not confined. The hens however are throwing me off because it looks like some have a black tinge to their feathers. You may have some White Rocks but the males sure look alot like a broiler especially their stance. But also remember that the white rocks and the standard cornish were both used to get the GODZILLA chickens we all put in our freezer. To put it simply they look like FOOD!!!!
lol.png
lol.png
you still got a great deal no matter what they are!!

Back
Top Bottom