Help, please-- What should I do with this chick??

LunarRayne

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
SW Arkansas
This chick was shrink wrapped, or at least beginning to. We have already had one that was, so I added water and then tried to get this guy moist. Well he hatched mostly on his own. (He had turned in the egg to finish zipping and was stuck, I had to remove some egg shell as to not drown the little one.) He came out of the shell in one mighty push. I thought good, he will be fine. Then he fell over. He has this green thing hanging from his abdomen. I am not sure what it is and what I should do about it. I don't think it is the yolk. He did have dome yellow goop stuck to his face, but I left him alone and it is gone. Anyone know what I should do?

88311_imag0514.jpg

I would put him into the incubator on a clean paper towel, and just let him rest for a full day. I've had similar instances where chicks just needed some more time to finish growing or rest a bit, and they turned out fine.......

Not sure what that thing is hanging off of him, but just let that alone..........It might be like an umbilical cord or something and maybe it'll dry up and fall off...(I'm guessing at that part.)

Good luck with the little newborn!

Sharon

Sorry, I can't help but I want to give your post a bump so someone else who knows can chime in. I'm pretty sure that is the rest of the yoke sack and they say to wrap him and keep him moist until that absorbs...again, that is just from reading, not experience.

Good luck!

Thanks. I have seen the yellow yolk stuff, but this is green. I really hope he turns out ok. I have one left in the egg from this hatch. I can hear it chirping, so that is a good sign. My only concern is that we have a staggered hatch. We have had to open the incubator to turn the others. My husband has done this many times. I am worried that may be why they are getting stuck, but my husband assures me, he knows what he is doing. He is the more experienced, as he has been raising chickens since he was a kid. I guess we will see.

Back
Top Bottom