Help please: worried newbie here

xocnk

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
WV
Hello, feeling worried here. First time incubating. I'm going on day 22. Have 8 chicks successfully hatched so far, first pip was day 19.. I have 18 eggs left in incubator and none of them have even pipped... My incubator is a forced air, the humidity was 65% all 1-18 and temp was 99.5. I candeled on day 7, day 14 and again at day 18 (to draw air sac and check viability) all seemed fine then. I'm worried that because others have hatched fine and now the others haven't even pipped. Also, would the temp make a difference, like most eggs that have hatched has been from bottom of incubator and 2 from middle shelf... None from top yet. The air fan blows out from the bottom.. Temp has remained steady during lockdown and humidity is 70-75%
Any advice on if I am worrying too soon or not!

I've only done one hatch last summer, so I'm not experienced or very knowledgeable but I can tell you that with mine, the first pip was Day 21, last chick to hatch was Day 24. I had basically given up on any more eggs hatching but still had a chick in the incubator drying off and was surprised to get that last one.

Hello, feeling worried here. First time incubating. I'm going on day 22. Have 8 chicks successfully hatched so far, first pip was day 19.. I have 18 eggs left in incubator and none of them have even pipped... My incubator is a forced air, the humidity was 65% all 1-18 and temp was 99.5. I candeled on day 7, day 14 and again at day 18 (to draw air sac and check viability) all seemed fine then. I'm worried that because others have hatched fine and now the others haven't even pipped. Also, would the temp make a difference, like most eggs that have hatched has been from bottom of incubator and 2 from middle shelf... None from top yet. The air fan blows out from the bottom.. Temp has remained steady during lockdown and humidity is 70-75%
Any advice on if I am worrying too soon or not!
Temperatures can vary through different parts of the incubator, depending on which incubator you have. Sometimes you may just have to wait it out. Good luck.

Thank you, I just felt I should atleast see them rocking or peeping inside..

Have you removed the chicks that hatched? Your humidity was very high for days 1-18. When you checked the air cells did they have good growth? You can candle the remaining eggs and see if they are still alive. Were these shipped or local eggs?

Yes I have them in a brooder, removed after they all hatched and dried. And I didn't even use any water from day 3 because humidity stayed so high I have no idea how to get it below 65-70 day 1-18. Any tips? Is it beause it have rained in my area almost non stop I live in WV. Also, the incubator I was using was from my dad it is an exo terra forced air I think it's mainly for reptile eggs. And yes local eggs from my dads flock.

Yes I have them in a brooder, removed after they all hatched and dried. And I didn't even use any water from day 3 because humidity stayed so high I have no idea how to get it below 65-70 day 1-18. Any tips? Is it beause it have rained in my area almost non stop I live in WV. Also, the incubator I was using was from my dad it is an exo terra forced air I think it's mainly for reptile eggs. And yes local eggs from my dads flock.

Do you have a seperate hygrometer in there? Do NOT trust the hygrometer that comes with the incubator. You can get a cheap hygrometer and calibrate it easily for accuracy. If you ran dry (no water) I doubt your humidity was 65% (even with rain)...it might have been, though. You really won't know unless you test the hygrometer and know it is accurate. Have you candled the rest of the eggs?

Do you have a seperate hygrometer in there? Do NOT trust the hygrometer that comes with the incubator. You can get a cheap hygrometer and calibrate it easily for accuracy. If you ran dry (no water) I doubt your humidity was 65% (even with rain)...it might have been, though. You really won't know unless you test the hygrometer and know it is accurate. Have you candled the rest of the eggs?

Yes I bought one at petco and tested it with outside air and in the house it was accurate. The one I bought is a humidity guage not a hydrometer, where could I get a hydrometer I mean Is there a difference. Also my incubator has no way of opening vents its forced air and sort of resembles a mini fridge lol
And no it's only day 23 so I was afraid of messing with them just yet.. I'm thinking of candling and float testing tommorow on day 24

Update: just float tested and then had to egg topsy them all, out of 18 eggs only 5 were even alive at day 18.. Others died before lockdown. My question is: two of them had absorbed their yolk already so I wonder if it was the humidity from day 1-18 how could I fell from the egg topsy.. It seems wet inside like fluid like.. But is that normal anyways? I guess I'm just worried it was something I did during incubation.. So for next time it will be better.

I'm having issues too. When is a good time to float test them? I'm 2 days beyond the hatch date with no pips.

Back
Top Bottom