HELP please xx Bruised Muscovy duck egg

Opened up over the bruise and found the beak so it can breathe. Veins and mebrains so added coconut oil.
should I still start going from the bottom of the egg?
thank you for all your replies x

Attachments

• 2A73CAFF-6144-4ED7-AA64-20F9E368595A.jpeg
    2A73CAFF-6144-4ED7-AA64-20F9E368595A.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 26
How to water candle it. Get a bowl of warm water about 100 degrees. Make sure the bowl is deep enough so the egg can float. Than EXAMINE the egg to make sure there are NO cracks or holes. Gently place the egg in the bowl of warm water. Let the water settle then watch the egg closely. The egg should rock very slightly back-and-forth. If it does this that means it’s alive! This DOES NOT harm the egg whatsoever if there’s no holes in it
Even if it doesn't harm the egg (which I feel there is a good chance that can by chilling the chick) I just feel it's an unnecessary risk.
you can usually shine a flashlight through the air cell end of an egg and see if there is any movement.

Shawluvsbirds it doesn’t seep through the shell because it’s only in there a minute...Google it
No it's likely not going to drown the chick as long as there is no holes or cracks in the shell..
But sometimes there can be a little cracks and holes that we don't always notice. And eggshells are porous that's how they get oxygen through the shell.
And putting water on eggs actually does the opposite of what you would think..
It dries them out inside.
That is why a person would mist duck eggs with water when you need the the egg to lose more moisture and the air cell to grow bigger.

Opened up over the bruise and found the beak so it can breathe. Veins and mebrains so added coconut oil.
It is your choice what you decide to do and when.
It's really hard for us to give suggestions when we aren't there to observe the behavior of the duck.
You just kind of got to go with your gut.
You will most likely have to finish assisting the hatch since its bill is not in the air cell.
So at some point I would open the air cell and peel the membrane back from that end if it were me.
As long as you have the bill free like that it should be able to breathe. As Long as You observe it yawning and chewing it is probably still absorbing yolk and there is no rush.

Hi don’t think my rely posted...
I Opened up over the bruise and found the beak so it can breathe. Veins and mebrains so added coconut oil.

Attachments

• BA08C40D-967B-46E0-87B7-8260AA9533AD.jpeg
    BA08C40D-967B-46E0-87B7-8260AA9533AD.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi there! Isn’t hatching fun! :D

I can’t tell for sure whether the top of the beak is toward your finger or away. But I would work small pieces of shell away, from whichever end is under the beak. You can do a little on the upper side, but the ducklings neck/backbone should be sitting directly under its lower jaw. When it starts pushing to get out, it will want to uncurl, so that’s the direction I would work toward.
You can also try clearing the face as much as possible, and make sure the nares and eyes are clear of any fluid. Just do not pull it from the egg. Let it push away from the shell on its own.
Good luck!

Next time try triple antibiotic ointment, it lasts longer on the membrane and keeps it moist longer. Make sure that whatever you put on the membrane does not go close to the bill because it can clog it's nostrils.

I wouldn't help anymore if the veins have not receded. You do not want to risk tearing a vein and having more issues than need be.

How long has it been externally pipped for? (since you got its bill out)

Ducklings hatch slower and you need to wait for the veins to recede before you do anything else. You do not want to risk the yolk not absorbing either. Usually I do not assist for 24+ hours after i get their bill out to ensure that everything will go smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom