help please

trinacsj24

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2016
1. Are these buff brahmas?
2. Pullet or roo?
They are almost 5 weeks.

Last edited:
I say pullets. I had a bit of struggle finding the gender of my chicks, but trust me you have some pullets. My girls are 5 weeks old too. You can tell that they are pullets because they have the pale combs and small if any wattle development. Also I observed with my 3 week old rooster, that they tend to have a different temperament, more protective and a bit aggressive. I know this is a bit hard to believe coming from a person who posted a thread 4 days ago wondering if I have hens or roosters, but I have done my searching and went on many, many websites, articles, threads, and Youtube videos over the past 4 weeks and I am almost certain that you have some pullets. Hope this helps!! PS yes your chicks are Buff Brahmas.
smile.png

-ftfarmer22

welcome-byc.gif

They are buff Brahmas.

As to gender, it's too young to call pullet with confidence. Brahmas, being a giant breed, are slow to mature and sometimes you're still guessing at a few months old. Your best indicator will be how many rows the comb has. Females have a single row up the middle of the comb, males have a triple row with the one in the middle being larger. Males will also get red in the comb younger than pullets.

Okay thanks evwryone.
I noticed that with brahmas even the hens can have red combs and waddles.
I'm gonna Waite at least 2 more weeks to see if I can tell. I'm zoned for no roosters where I live so if it turns out they are I have to rehome them.

Okay thanks evwryone.
I noticed that with brahmas even the hens can have red combs and waddles.
I'm gonna Waite at least 2 more weeks to see if I can tell. I'm zoned for no roosters where I live so if it turns out they are I have to rehome them.

All breeds of hens get red combs and wattles.....eventually. It's a sign of sexual maturity and fertility. The key is the age at which the redness happens. Before say 4 months, redness indicates a male.

Can you show us a close up of combs and wattles, and also share a picture of the tail feathers spread, then we will be able to give you a certain answer:)

Back
Top Bottom