Help please

Dippity

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2017
we just found one of our 7 month old chickens with what we think is a prolapsed vent, there does not seem to be an egg there but she is bloody, has a huge swollen lump on her bum and worst of all has a length of tissue hanging out of her about 2-2 1/2 inches long. Is this what I am supposed to be trying to push back in ?

Pictures
My poor girl.

Attachments

• 0E530CC2-AD5D-4352-8B0F-4A140B4514F8.jpeg
    0E530CC2-AD5D-4352-8B0F-4A140B4514F8.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 17
  • C4853963-4D5F-4557-B9B9-85D09DFD18EF.jpeg
    C4853963-4D5F-4557-B9B9-85D09DFD18EF.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 17
I hope someone can help. That does not look good. Was she injured somehow? I can't imagine how that has happened.

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine it being anything else than intestines.

If it were me, I would put her down immediately as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

You "could" take her to a vet. However, the shock of having major organs exposed and the likely hood of infection, along with pain and suffering is a very real possibility.:hugs

Sorry. Hit send to soon.

I'm sorry to say that doesn't look good.
Please try rinsing it off to see what you're working with.
Post new pictures. Try to hold some feathers out of the way. There are awesome people here who might be able to offer better guidance than I.
Everything should be kept moist while you're deciding what you're going to do.
Even a few folds of moist paper towel is better than leaving her exposed to air.

This is NOT just a prolapse.
She may have prolapsed and was then pecked by her flock mates.

Can't tell if that's reproductive tract or intestines from higher up, if they are punctured or torn, "pushing it back in" won't help her in the long run because infection will set in quickly and anything leaking from her digestive system will cause her to become septic.

If you have access to a veterinarian who treats birds I'd take her immediately.
Surgery is possibly an option but recovery isn't likely if there's a lot of internal damage.

Euthanasia may be the most compassionate thing you can do for your fluffy one.
Even a vet who doesn't "treat birds" will often provide euthanasia services in an emergency.

Culling is the home option.

I am so sorry that you are going through such a terrible time. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom