Help please!!!

madkat9495

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017
Hi all!!!
My cousin gave me a day old hatchling last night to hold as it was abandoned and trodded on my other chickens they thought it was going to die.
We ended up getting it to eat soggy bread and wrapped it up as we didnt have a heat lamp.
I really want to save it but i dont know if i can as it is only one and dont know if itll survive even if i get the necessary tools. Please help as i really want to save it. I work 8 hours a day and dont know if itll be ok by itself.

Buy chick feed. If he was hatched yesterday, he's fine going without feed for a day or so, but he needs chick feed and possibly a little bit of grit, not bread. Bread has next to no nutritional value. The next best thing is some egg yolk.

He needs to be kept at at least ninety degrees. Bra incubation is a thing if you have nothing else available. And if you can set up a heating pad in a box and fiddle with the temperature a bit, that would be a great heating spot. Make space so he can move off of and onto it.

He'll be lonely be himself. See if you can get another chick from your cousin, otherwise you'll hear lonely, miserable cheeping at all hours of the day and night.

EDT: Chick feed is available at Rural King, TSC, and any local feed store you can find in the yellow pages.

Th
Buy chick feed. If he was hatched yesterday, he's fine going without feed for a day or so, but he needs chick feed and possibly a little bit of grit, not bread. Bread has next to no nutritional value. The next best thing is some egg yolk.

He needs to be kept at at least ninety degrees. Bra incubation is a thing if you have nothing else available. And if you can set up a heating pad in a box and fiddle with the temperature a bit, that would be a great heating spot. Make space so he can move off of and onto it.

He'll be lonely be himself. See if you can get another chick from your cousin, otherwise you'll hear lonely, miserable cheeping at all hours of the day and night.

EDT: Chick feed is available at Rural King, TSC, and any local feed store you can find in the yellow pages.

Thank you we didnt have food for it at the time and it was eating soggy bread but it survived the night by itself. I want to give it a chance. Of i cant get anymore babys will it survive by itself?

It will slowly die if you can't keep it warm enough. It needs a nice dry brooder, and a waterer that it can't stand in or fall into. Check out this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...ertainly&t=ams_article&o=date&c[title_only]=1

this system uses a heating pad to make a "cave" supported by a wire frame. (it must be able to stay on 24/7. the newer ones are designed to automatically shut off after 2 hours of use, Though Sunbeam makes one with a bypass for the auto off feature)

An other option would be to rig a heat lamp using a simple incandescent bulb. A 60W bulb would be sufficient in the house. You must be sure the bulb can't contact any thing combustible, and you must make double sure the chick can't get close enough to it to burn herself. Temp under the bulb at the level of the bedding should be 90*.

The chick can not generate enough heat on her own, and will slowly die without heat from an external source.

Th

Thank you we didnt have food for it at the time and it was eating soggy bread but it survived the night by itself. I want to give it a chance. Of i cant get anymore babys will it survive by itself?
If you don't get any more babies, he'll be very lonely. Chickens are flock animals, you can't have just one without distressing it. He'd probably survive--especially if he adopted you as his flock--but if he's going to be home alone all day...

He is ok at the moment bored by himself and pecks but can seem to eat the baby chick food. Using a syringe and mixed the starter with water and eats that way. Hooefully getting him some mates soon so he isnt so bored. Hopefully he makes through tonight. The poo is water but has a bit of solid in him i dont think thats normal but he his atleast getting something. Hopefully with the buddies he will learn

Back
Top Bottom