Help please.

Nana Ann

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2018
Hi everyone, I’m worried about one of my hens. She escaped from the run this morning (it is just a post and netting one to give the girls a bit more room to free-range) one of the other girls had gone too but was found just outside the run and she was fine. Miss Blue I found a fair way off under some trees. She didn’t come as usual when I called her, so I picked her up and took her back. I noticed she was standing still, her back was arched and tail slightly down. Then she walked very slowly to the water and had a drink. She then went and sat under a bush and stayed there most of the day.
I had a look at her, I’m new to chickens so not sure what to look for but her back end looked normal and there are no visible injuries to her.
Tonight she went into the coop by herself but went into the nest box, she is standing in it.

Attachments

• ABBF6259-C2F7-4EC1-BFDA-995BE506CE5A.jpeg
    ABBF6259-C2F7-4EC1-BFDA-995BE506CE5A.jpeg
    845.8 KB · Views: 18
I noticed she was standing still, her back was arched and tail slightly down. Then she walked very slowly to the water and had a drink. She then went and sat under a bush and stayed there most of the day....Tonight she went into the coop by herself but went into the nest box, she is standing in it... had one soft shell egg yesterday, laid in the run, not sure who laid it.

With your description of her behavior and stance, I would suspect she is the one that had the soft shell egg.
Try to encourage her to drink. If you have poultry vitamins that would be good. She would also benefit from extra calcium - you can offer Tums or 1/2 tablet of calcium supplement like Caltrate. Soft shell eggs are very hard to pass and can make them feel unwell.

If she does not improve, then feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid. Sometimes a good soak in a warm epsom salts bath will help get thing moving (only do this if she is not lethargic).

Let us know how she is doing.

With your description of her behavior and stance, I would suspect she is the one that had the soft shell egg.
Try to encourage her to drink. If you have poultry vitamins that would be good. She would also benefit from extra calcium - you can offer Tums or 1/2 tablet of calcium supplement like Caltrate. Soft shell eggs are very hard to pass and can make them feel unwell.

If she does not improve, then feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid. Sometimes a good soak in a warm epsom salts bath will help get thing moving (only do this if she is not lethargic).

Let us know how she is doing.
Thank you for your reply. This morning she seems better. Ran straight out of the coop and off scratching around the grass. I will definitely try the bath later if I think she is still feeling sick.

Thank you for your reply. This morning she seems better. Ran straight out of the coop and off scratching around the grass. I will definitely try the bath later if I think she is still feeling sick.

Glad to hear she is doing better:)

Sometimes if they have a soft shell egg, they can act off for a little while. I would just keep a watch on her for a couple of days, hopefully this is a one time thing and she has no further problems.

Quick update on Miss B, seemed fine this morning, then I found another soft egg in the nest. Although she was acting normally up until my husband went to do some mowing (ride-on is very noisy) Then I saw her huddled under a bush. Tonight I had to carry her into coop, when I left she was sitting in a corner, head facing the corner.
I wonder if she is suffering from stress but I can’t think that would be the reason for the egg problems.
Nothing is ever simple.......

I would agree with @Wyorp Rock She is most likely responsible for the soft shelled eggs. It really takes it out of them trying to squeeze those out and the fact that you have had several in a row suggests that she either has a problem with her shell gland or her diet. That hunched posture is typical of a bird that is straining. I would definitely give her a heavy direct does of calcium as suggested and see if that helps her. You could crush up an indigestion tablet and sprinkle it on some scrambled egg or a pice of soggy bread to get it into her. She is at risk of a prolapse if she is constantly having to strain like this, as well as the danger of an egg breaking inside her.
What do you feed them? Too many treats can mean that they are not getting enough food with calcium in it. They will eat treats in preference to their formulated feed which has a balance of everything they need and that means they are not getting all the nutrients they need. Scratch/whole grains are considered a treat too and treats can make chickens obese, which is difficult to see because of their feathers but, like us, causes all sorts of health and laying problems. Some foods can inhibit the absorption of calcium too.... spinach and kale in particular have this effect. Do you have crushed oyster shell available for them to increase their calcium intake if they need to?

They are on Red hen blue, which I was told was a complete diet so they didn’t need any shell grit. A handful of scratch mix between them a couple of times a day. They have had watermelon on these hot days and plenty of free ranging. Maybe twice a week some scrambled egg. I will put some shell grit out for them tomorrow in case.
What is the best way for me to give her the calcium? I have some caltrate in the cupboard that I take myself, so that’s easy.
Thank you for helping. I really appreciate it.

I would just like to add that I don't mean to be critical in any of the comments I have made, so please don't feel like I am putting you on the spot or trying to make you feel bad. None of us came into poultry keeping with all the knowledge we need.... it is learned by experience and reading and picking other people's brains. We all like to treat out chickens and chickens love treats, but there is a balance as with everything and it's easy to get too carried away with the treats and not realise the problems that can cause.... especially with the likes of scratch which is pretty much marketed as "chicken feed", so can be very confusing. The formulated feed (layer pellets/crumble etc) contains everything the chickens need to stay healthy and lay eggs. Once you give them anything else, they will eat less of the layer feed, which means that the balance gets thrown off. Top of the pecking order chickens often get first dibs at the treats, so may get more than their fair share, possible meaning that they are more prone to an imbalance and problems as a result. These are just things to be aware of and take into consideration when you start seeing problems.

Back
Top Bottom