Help please

Not pooping, she had diarrhoea yesterday a little but nothing today. Her tail was pasty so I’ve sat her in some warm water to clean her up. She’s not eating anything other than her grit.

Not pooping, she had diarrhoea yesterday a little but nothing today. Her tail was pasty so I’ve sat her in some warm water to clean her up. She’s not eating anything other than her grit.
What is the grit? Oyster shell?

I would probably take that away if she is having crop problems, even though it's fairly easily ground up in the gizzard, if she has a blockage or slow crop, it could exacerbate the problems.

While you are cleaning her up, feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or fluid, it wouldn't hurt to insert a lubricated, gloved finger inside the vent about 1-2" to see if you feel an egg.

Keep us posted.

Yes grit is oyster plus nutrients. I ground it down fine and took out any lumps. Felt her abdomen and it feels ok ..... as far as my inexperience knows. She has pooped some brown solid and liquid in last hour. I thought she was cold as she was still damp from the bum bath so I’ve dried her off with a low hairdryer. She just sat relaxed in my arms and got warm and she has eaten some mashed pellets with yoghurt. Fingers crossed. She’s had two quite large doses of Daktarin oral gel today by syringe

No we’ve only had our chicks since July but, although it’s a possibility as we’ve had cattle grazing on our land, they’re segregated by wire mesh and the chicks don’t fly over. They’re also in an Eglu which is cleaned and moved twice a week and disinfected. I think the other posters are right, it’s an impacted crop possibly now sour crop

Update ..... the Daktarin has been working. She’s nearly back to her old self. Unfortunately when I reintroduced her the other smallest chick, a Legbar, went for her repeatedly so that one is now in chicken jail. She is happily clucking around withe the 2 copper Marans. Being gluttons for punishment we bought another Eglu comes complete with 4 more chicks who look very neglected. We’ve only picked them up today and I’ve had to scrub the Eglu ....was just filthy. I’m guessing they have mites. Also poop doesn’t look right. It’s more brown yuk than white lumps. We’ll keep them separate for a few weeks and worm them but what is best for mites.

Update ..... the Daktarin has been working. She’s nearly back to her old self. Unfortunately when I reintroduced her the other smallest chick, a Legbar, went for her repeatedly so that one is now in chicken jail. She is happily clucking around withe the 2 copper Marans. Being gluttons for punishment we bought another Eglu comes complete with 4 more chicks who look very neglected. We’ve only picked them up today and I’ve had to scrub the Eglu ....was just filthy. I’m guessing they have mites. Also poop doesn’t look right. It’s more brown yuk than white lumps. We’ll keep them separate for a few weeks and worm them but what is best for mites.
Mites...you want permethrin.

They may be bringing a new strain of coccidia to your flock. I highly recommend keeping Corid on hand.
View media item 7891984

Back
Top Bottom