Help please

radmann

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 15, 2008
Dunedin, NZ
I had a broody hen who I moved into another hen house to put some fertile aracuna eggs under, another hen also in there was sitting on a cple of eggs (I had felt sorry for her, she has been brooding on nothing for a cple of months), anyway, the aracuna mum sat on the eggs for a cple of days, then decided that she would move in with hen2 who had managed to hatch one chick. Now both are off the eggs and mothering the one chick? Anyone know what will happen to the fertile eggs? Can I keep them until I get another broody? Please? 2nd attempt at hatching and don't seem to be getting it right. Thanks.

I've had 2 hens quit on me in the past month at varying stages. This after a successful hatch with a broody. I wasn't successful the first time & doubt I will be with the current batch. However, I have them in a steamer basket, suspended above water in a covered bowl under a heat lamp. I'd bought a thermometer/humidity gage from Walmart & according to that, I have the right temp & humidity conditions.

My guess is that the broodies quit because they sense that the eggs aren't developing. But I'm keeping them in the bowl until day 26, or until they smell, because I think everything deserves a chance.

I wish you luck, but after this, I'm either buying a bator, or having my kids make on for their science fair project, so I have something ready to go if/when this happens again.

If I were you, take those eggs you suspect to be fertile and candle them. If you see development, quickly build an incubator and put them inside. After they hatch, you can slip them under momma hens since they can't count.

Back
Top Bottom