help, please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Candle, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Candle

Candle New Egg

Jun 19, 2008
    i'm not quite sure what happened, so i'd like some clarification.
    first of all, i believe this chick was a white leg horn and about 2 months old. it was the smallest chicken i had, but pretty fat/plump.
    first, it started stumbling over it's feet. sometimes it would trip and fall. then steady itself with its wings. i noticed some scabs on its feet, but they weren't under his feet--they were on the thin skin that connect between the toes (like the webbed part on a duck). so, i wasn't sure if it was bumblefoot or not.
    then yesterday night, it was doing fine. then i noticed it was gasping for breath, so i picked it up and examined it. every time it gasped, it's bought would open and the tongue would stick out a little to the side, then go back in. a few minutes later, its neck suddenly went limp. and it really scared me.
    not long after. maybe 2 minutes? it passed away. ):
    it was devastating, considering it was probably my favorite chick.

so any help would be lovely, i'd appreciate it.
    i've read that limp neck is caused by a vitamin deficiency? called limber neck/wry neck. but i also read it occurs in silkies, and my chick wasn't a silkie.
    i'm really confused.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by