Help please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PitbullMamma, Oct 15, 2013.

1. PitbullMamma

PitbullMamma New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    New Mexico
    Hello, I'm a complete newb to this forum and chickens in general. We have adult bantams, three hens and a rooster.

The hens have been brooding the last few weeks, and three little chicks hatched a few days ago. All was well, we left the hens to do their thing. Then I went out one morning and all three chicks were dead, it appeared they had been pecked and scratched to death.

One more chick hatched, and it met the same fate. I have five eggs that I took from the hens that are due to hatch within in a couple of days. I have them in a straw layered box under a heat lamp, we only just brought them in a bit ago.

First of all, what do I do to insure the chicks survive and hatch?

And is it normal for hens to kill their young? I'm sorry to come on here and shout ignorance like this. I am doing a lot of fast reading right now.

Thanks in advance,

Libby

2. Pekin bantams

Pekin bantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Is your rooster aggressive? if he is then he could have been the one that killed your chicks. with your next batch of chicks maybe separate the chicks and their mother from the rest of the flock. hope it goes well for you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by