Help Please!

lindylou47

Chirping
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Wa.
One of my chickens seems to be sick, but not sure what is wrong. She barely walks around with the others, just lays around. She is not eating well either. VERY lethargic. When she does move, its very slowly.Not sure how else to describe it. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Linda

Could be cocci. Also has she been laying she may be egg bound. Check her vent and make sure it is clear and clean pictures would be helpful.

Mites, worms, coccidiosis, or other intestinal infection such as enteritis, crop or gizzard impaction, and egg binding can all cause lethargy. If she is under 20 weeks, if she is new to your land, or if you have recently added new chickens that may have brought in a new strain of cocci, coccidiosis is what I would susupect. Treatment for that is Corid or amprollium for 5 days. If you can't find that at your feed store, sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) or sulfamethazine (sulmet) would work. Look at her poops for any diarrhea or blood.

Hi. My chickens are all 3 yrs. old. None of them have been sick before, I think that's why I got so nervous about it. I also have 4 ducks, I got them all at the same time. Thanks, Linda

I think you should take her to the vet. she might need some antibiotics but also she can have a viral desease or something else.

She have diarheea?

Inspect her for lice/mites, especially around her vent. Then worm her and the others with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Give 1/2cc orally with one or the other wormer and repeat again in 10 days.

Like Dawg said. Don't start with the worst, start with the most common, (and easiest to fix) and work from there. I speak from a LOT of personal experience. Dawg's advice is always the best first step and more often than not the problem. Even when it's not, worming/dusting for parasites will buy you some time by helping your birds to better deal with other problems. Folks just don't realize how devistating internal/external parasites can be to the body's ability to fend off other things and can be a slow, painful, killer all on their own.

Back
Top Bottom