HELP! Polish hen acting suddenly lethargic, wings dropping, can’t stand, panting, and white diarrhea coming out of vent!

I think she may have a problem with her kidneys due to how long she was egg bound. I read that damage to the kidneys can result from egg binding. Perhaps that is why she has not pooped at all. Her abdomen is still pretty swollen. I put my finger into her vent just to see if I could feel a further blockage, but I did not feel anything.

It’s just a little squishy, but it is not too swollen. Just a little out of the norm. It is not hard or anything. I’ve had some chickens with water balloon swollen abdomens, but hers is not too bad. I just put her back with her sister, and oddly enough she has perked back up a little and is eating and walking around some. She is still sitting a lot, but has defiantly perked up more. She is even clucking softly again to her sister. It is so odd because she would not eat or drink anything in the barn. Perhaps chickens do make emotional connections (normally the two are inseparable) She also just pooped for the first time. I will send a pic of it. It does have a bit of a smell that reminds me of a infected prolapse vent, so perhaps I should find some antibiotics?

Attachments

• 01CD1744-8C9F-45E8-947D-44D1600B8CA3.jpeg
    01CD1744-8C9F-45E8-947D-44D1600B8CA3.jpeg
    629.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DD1BE9A6-099C-4568-A06B-6DB82432F90D.jpeg
    DD1BE9A6-099C-4568-A06B-6DB82432F90D.jpeg
    805 KB · Views: 2
I have some amoxicillin that is for small children, so it would not be too strong for her I would think. I may give her some of that, and hopefully it would help.

Back
Top Bottom