HELP! Possible aspiration

Ashley S

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2017
I gave my 6 week old chick nitri-drench and I think some went down her trachea. She's sneezing a lot and shaking her head. Is there anything I can do?! She's recovering from wry neck and has been doing really well with that and now I'm afraid I've messed her up I put her back in the brooder and she's eating right now but I'm still hearing her sneeze.

Leave her alone...see if she will sneeze it out on her own.
Do NOT give her any more straight to the beak.
One drop down he wrong way can kill.

Not much you can do, hopefully she clears it out. Watch for pneumonia. It isn't good to force feed chickens, but I know it's often advised especially when they are doing well, but you need to be real careful and accept there may be problems from it. Hopefully she straightens out.

Thanks, her sneezing has slowed down. I wish I wouldn't have given her any now What signs do I need to look for now and how long until I know she's okay?

I didn't realize that way was ill advised :-( these are my first chicks and she wasn't eating or drinking on her own for the past few days so I was having to feed her through a syringe. She made a great recovery but still has small "episodes" of the wry neck so I thought I was doing the right thing and making her take the dose of nitri-drench. Now I'm freaking out about this.

I didn't realize that way was ill advised :-( these are my first chicks and she wasn't eating or drinking on her own for the past few days so I was having to feed her through a syringe. She made a great recovery but still has small "episodes" of the wry neck so I thought I was doing the right thing and making her take the dose of nitri-drench. Now I'm freaking out about this.
If she's improving than odds are she will be okay. Don't be too hard on yourself, you were only doing what you thought was right.

Back
Top Bottom