Help! Possible broken wing?

Chief

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi, this is Chiefs' wife. I need some advice/suggestions.

Yesterday afternoon, my rooster aggressively breed an unwilling hen. Since then her wing appears broken? She is not able to tuck it back to the normal position, it hangs lower than the other wing. Can you sling a wing or is it hopeless?

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thank you:confused:

I would tuck it back where it normally goes then wrap the wing to the body.
Not a whole lot else you can do. Just make sure there is no bone sticking out anywhere.
I think you can dissolve an aspirin in water to help with pain, but I forget the dosage.
Hope she heals up for you.

For a full-grown bird, a whole 81-mg aspirin ground up.
smile.png
Half for chicks.

Here's a link about how to treat broken wings. It's from the official book of BYC "Raising Chickens for Dummies", it's a great book I'm always looking at our copy.
big_smile.png

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-treat-a-chickens-broken-leg-or-wing.html
Is your chicken refusing to walk or dragging its wing? It may be suffering from a broken leg or wing. Broken wings are fairly easy for the chicken to live with; broken legs are not. With legs and wings, it’s important to treat your injured chicken immediately.

A broken wing may drag the ground or appear twisted. It can be healed by folding the wing into a natural position against the bird, and then wrapping the bird with gauze strips or vet wrap to hold the wing in place. Unless it’s a show bird, if the wing heals crooked or droops, it’s no big deal.

Keeping the wing wrapped for two weeks is usually enough. The bird must be separated from other birds during this time. The bird will feel better if it can see and hear the flock.​

Back
Top Bottom