Help!!! prolapse maybe? what to do?

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
so I have a 19 week old EE that we were not sure if she started laying in last week as I saw some small/pullet like eggs. then found her tonight- in pain, with this red egg like protruberance from her bottom. It is red and pressed through skin. ( not sure where vent is in relation as it is all tight) . Upon feeling it- if there is an egg, it is soft shelled.

... I bathed her bottom in warm soapy water for 15 minutes and put petrolium jelly on her vent( at least I think I found it). No penicillin on hand as a back yard chicken gal... Put her in her own rabbit hutch for the night with some hay and a warm towel. Massaged the bottom... if there is a shell, it is a rubbery/soft shell. Just feels mushy there. Kinda freaked out to push it back in. yikes... going to check on her in a little bit. Any other tips would be great.

64297_img_4594.jpg

64297_img_4595.jpg

Last edited:
Prolapse of the Oviduct
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When an egg is laid, the vagina everts through the cloaca to deliver the egg. If there has been injury to the vagina, such as from a large egg, or if the hen is fat, the vagina may not retract immediately. This may result in cannibalism ( Cannibalism). When the protruding organ is pecked by others in the flock, the complete oviduct and parts of the adjacent intestinal tract may be pulled from the abdominal cavity (“peckout”). Alternatively, the vagina swells, cannot retract, and remains prolapsed (“blowout”). The hen dies from shock. A high incidence has been associated with excessive/premature photostimulation, early laying (inadequate body size), large eggs, double-yolked eggs, and obesity. Cannibalism may be prevented by beak trimming, maintaining appropriate stocking density, and avoiding nutritional deficiencies.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205811.htm&word=prolapse

Thanks celtic... so far the other younger birds were "protecting her" and letting her sit in a corner when I found her. She was fine as best I can tell this am. I was gone all day and evening, she was sitting in their favorite corner on her bottom. (maybe protecting it so it could not be pecked)

As mentioned there were some small pullet eggs in past week so thought it might be her. I only have 5 layers and she is 6 and 19 weeks of age... so might be on the young side. No roos in our coop.

Tried pushing it back in but that does not seem to help as it came back out. Tried some honey on it too. She is in a rabbit hutch outside of the coop. Here is to hoping. Dont want to explain this to my kids! And she had one other nestmate that was raised with her in our house since day 3. she will be devestated.

I am so sorry. I wish I could be of more help. Do you have any Preparation H you could try?

I contacted a friend & he wasn't much help. He has heard that hens who get prolapse tend to do it again.

I'll keep researching. Hopefully I'll find something more useful. Good luck.

She is by herself now? I'm happy to hear she has such good friends.
smile.png

Last edited:
Best of luck to this sweet girl. Sorry I can't be of any help, but the flock is sending love your way. Battling issues with one of my girls as it is =/

A friend had a bird that had a prolapsed vent a couple of times. We put it back at least twice that I can remember. She eventually came down with ascites and we ended it for her. I don't know for sure but I bet the ascites had to do with infection connected to the prolapsed vent. If I had a bird with a prolapsed vent, I would probably try to correct it once but if it came back out, I would cull.

i can't quite believe how people are so fast predicting doom and gloom for this hen.
there is a chance she can get over this..i have a cochin who had a severe prolapse, but with time and effort it might come good.
you need to smoother the site with prep-h (or the likes of) you can also try honey.
lub up and push the prolapse back in. slowly and gently, hold it there for a few minutes.

set chicky in a cage in a DARK room (last thing you want is for her to try laying an egg)

it may pop out a few times but keep pushing it gently back in.

warm baths can also help relax the muscles

give her a chance eh?

this was my hens prolapse the day it happened, its hard to see due to all the blood but it hangs out till it nearly touches the floor. it took a while to edge it all back in slowly and with lots of lube. we used prep -h and honey. for the first few days a large piece was still hanging out (due to swelling) so we kept it moist with the cream and each day edged it a little further in.

53434_100_7075.jpg

53434_100_7074.jpg

1 week later

53434_100_7077.jpg

after about a month there was no sign of the prolapse and she hasnt had problems since. i know it seems a long time frame but i was willing to work with her as she'd cost me so much money(!) (id just bought her the day before!!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom