HELP.Pullet had string tied around tongue UPDATE

lcourtaway

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
I was able to unwrap the string and extract it but the "tongue" looks grayish and is not as pink as a healthy "tongue" in one of my other pullets. There was also a vaguely foul odor in the mouth and the crop was empty. I put my pinky in the throat to make sure there was no other material and there doesn't appear to be any further obstructions. She was sitting by herself and by the looks of her crop had not eaten. I gave her some turkey and banana baby food by syringe which she took and some water. She is still fluffed up and sleepy but she swallowed everything I fed her and now I'm wondering if I did the right thing?? Is there anything else I can do?? The odor is gone now from her throat and her tongue looks slightly pinker but still not normal and she holds her beak apart slightly. Will her tongue recover?? How serious is this?? Advice please

Last edited:
I think an antibiotic might me a good idea - the smell could be from infection. You should consider taking this chick to the vet.
Good luck!
fl.gif

I had a chick do this as well. ALmost cut her tongue in half.
ep.gif
What I did was put some oral antibotic on it and dropper fed some cool water and yogurt and other soft foods. She was back to normal in about 3 days. She did have a lot of swelling for the first day which caused her to hold her beak open. I think Redhen had a button chick do this as well. Do you know how long the string was around her tongue? Good luck with your chick!!
fl.gif

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your replies. I did add antibiotic to their water and I fed her again at 2am. This morning she is more alert and she opens and closes her mouth like she's stretching it or something. The tongue looks a little pinker today. Should I just continue to feed her and offer softer foods and see if she's better tomorrow? She seems better today and she sits with the others and sleeps. They (6 bantam frizzles) are only 3 1/2 months old and are in my laundry room until it warms up and they're house is finished. So they are warm and dry and comfortable. The others are not bothering her and she seems comforted by their closeness. Do I need to separate them or will her siblings continue to be supportive of her not feeling well? Will they attack her? I am monitoring them all closely every hour or so. Am I headed in the right direction??

you can dose her with baby aspirin..it's the 80mg aspirin and you can get it at the dollar store. The dosage is 5 grains per 1gal of water. You can either mix it up and give it in smaller rounds or do some math..i'm not good at math..sorry..lol!
roll.png
Hope she has a full recovery.
smile.png

Sounds like you are indeed headed in the right direction. I would leave her with the others as long as you observe noone picking on her. Prayers for your hen for a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom