HELP! pullet has serious head injury!

ther00ster'scr0w

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bay Area CA
so i just came back from vacation to find that one of my 5 month old pullet has a serious wound on the back of her head. there is dry blood on the side of her neck, and she seems pretty serious.

She is in a coop with two other pullets and three young roosters because they were hatched together and iv been trying to find them a home. the wound is about the size of a quarter (ill add a pic if necessary later).

She's a mixed breed but i do not know of what. Please help me help her! she doesn't seem to be in that much pain or just doesn't show it. She very shy and won't let anyone near her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seperate her from the others and clean the wound with sterile saline (1/4tsp salt in 1qt boiled water, cooled) and apply Neosporin liberally (not the pain relief kind). It will heal up on it's own, without sutures, but keep her seperated until it heals. I had a hen with this same problem and she healed beautifully!

I have a Buff Orpington that had the whole back of her neck pealed up(looked very nasty!). I gave her injections of combi-pen and let it heal itself. 1 shot every 4 days took about 3 weeks to really start healing. She is still out there. That has been about 2 years ago. Every time i have a chicken that is suspected of being attacked by another animal I like to give them an injection of antibiotics. Every time I don't they seem to die. I also have an Australorpe hen that had 50 stitches on her sides treated the same way w antibiotics. I gave her a bunch of antibiotics; around every seam until it seeped from the wound! Combi-pen has fast released and slow released penicillin. 1 cc of combi-pen is the normal dosage that I use on standards.

Last edited:
THANK YOU all VERY much!!!!

i have separated her and she is doing fine, although the wound doesn't seem to be healing, but i'll keep an eye for things to improve for my next act

Back
Top Bottom