Found deep injury on bird

Melgug

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2022
Found this injury under one of my birds wings on both sides. It could have been there for weeks. I am assuming it’s from my giant rooster, who we are going to trim his nails today.

I cleaned out the wound as best I could and put wound spray and neosporin on it. She’s eating more scrambled eggs with nutritional yeast to help her energy.

Does she need antibiotics? I’m afraid of serious infection as it has probably been festering for weeks now. I feel horrible not catching this sooner. She was limping weeks ago, checked her feet’s and legs for injury but didn’t think to look under her wings!!!!!! No vets near me see chickens.

Any help is much appreciated as I care for these ladies greatly and want to help her heal.

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 45
I had this happen a couple months ago, I cleaned the wound everyday and applied neosporin and she healed up great. I didn't use any antibiotics because there was no sign of infection. I'd suggest investing in some hen saddles and keeping her away from the roo until she is fully healed.

I had this happen a couple months ago, I cleaned the wound everyday and applied neosporin and she healed up great. I didn't use any antibiotics because there was no sign of infection. I'd suggest investing in some hen saddles and keeping her away from the roo until she is fully healed.
thank you. That is the plan so far. And great idea investing in saddles. I have her isolated now. Do you think trimming the roosters nails are a good idea?

I'd apply antibiotic ointment even though it appears to be healing. Check the rest of your hens to make sure they are not injured. Some roosters are just to large to be flock leaders.
Thanks I will try to get some tomorrow. Do you know if TSC sells a good one? I have checked the few that I can catch… will check the rest asap. And yeah, he is a BIG boy.

Etsy has some great saddles, I prefer the ones with wing and tail protection. Don't worry about them getting too hot, I love in Texas too and my ladies are fine

Back
Top Bottom