Help! Pullet is honk/sneezing and a soft full morning crop!

PertyGertie

Songster
9 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Southwest Michigan
Two days ago I heard my pullet Prissy make a honk/sneeze noise. It almost sounds like a small dog bark. She was free ranging and acting normal eating bugs and such. I read on BYC that she could have issues with her crop. Yesterday morning I went to the coop before sunrise and checked her crop and sure enough it was full and soft. I brought her inside and put her in a cage to monitor her. She was pooping a lot of watery little poops with firm chunks. They seemed pretty small for a chicken her size. And they were extremely stinky!

Her stomach seems to be making gurgling noises and she stretches her neck and opens her mouth and then almost acts like she's chewing something.

I changed their feed five days before these symptoms started but she has not had any for two days. She's still making the honking noise but her crop is emptying and I can feel some of the grit in the bottom of it. She has a voracious appetite but I'm afraid to have her gorge and not able to empty her crop.

With all of the watery poops her backside is crusty and stinky. She hasn't started laying eggs yet but I'm afraid she might something else going on. The breeder I got her and her sister from said they were a couple of weeks apart and her sister just started laying eggs.

Does anybody have any advice? I have to leave town on Monday and will need to rely on my husband and kids to give her care. :fl

Back
Top Bottom