Help! Pullets or cockerels

tricia123

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2017
I raised these guys from chicks and they are about 11 to 12 weeks old. I am finding feathers from fighting and would really like to get rid of the roosters to my local co-op. I have read all the forums about how to tell with their feathers but I just feel like too much of an amateur. Please help! Please just state which picture and who in the picture looks like cockerels to you. Thank you!!!!

Last edited:
I see a lot of roosters. The last barred bird I can't really tell, otherwise the rest are boys I'm thinking.

I chose to picture these ones because I felt they were boys but could someone explain the characteristics they look at using picture #1 as an example? Thanks!

Picture one shows an obvious red big comb. It also shows hackle feathers, thin ones around the base of the neck as well as saddle feathers, those right before the tail, they are thin and flow downward.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I agree all pictured look like males.

Using this picture....

LL

Here's what we're seeing. First, the comb. That much comb, with that much red at this young age means male. Some of your birds have pea combs, so the comb may not look as large right off, but for a pea comb it's still very red and plump.
Second, saddle feathers. On this bird, they're the copper-ish feathers hanging down in front of his tail. They're long, pointy, kinda flowing. Only males get those. Look at your hens in that same area, they don't have those pretty feathers.
Third, overall coloring. This takes a bit more of a practiced eye, but if you have pullets to compare to, you should be able to see it on some of your birds anyway. Males are brighter colored, with more patches of vivid coloring, and usually have red patches on the wings. In comparison, your pullets will be softer colored, with the colors blending more, not so bright and eye-catching.

Back
Top Bottom