help! pullets with puffy eyes, losing feathers, pic attached

kellygreen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
My girls are 6 weeks old, and I recently noticed 2 of the 4 have puffy eyes, and seem to be missing feathers around the eye. They seem otherwise healthy and happy, and I don't see any mites. The other two seem fine.
Should I be concerned? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
89332_dorothyeye.jpg

89332_fridaeye.jpg

What are you feeding them? Actually...

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Feeding them Mannapro medicated chick starter, though I ran out and had to feed them "royal feeds chicken mash" mixed in while I waited for a shipment.
Oh yeah, I have started feeding them fresh clover from my yard.
I haven't seen any fighting, and there's no blood or open wounds.
Poop seems normal and as disgusting as ever.
Huge appetites with all of them.
It's just the barred rock and an easter egger with the problem - I also have a bantam easter and a gold laced wyandotte.
They are inside the house with a "box apartment" heat lamp, and pine shaving bedding.
I just noticed this in the past few days - their eyes seem swollen and bald. I posted some photos in the original.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom