HELP!! Quail are attacking each other!

Master Quaillius

Songster
Aug 26, 2017
no
I introduced my 3 month old Golden to my 2 week old coturnix and they started taking it out on each other. My golden one keeps pecking at her over and over again, but she other one retaliates by making wierd croaking noises.
Please help, my quail are freaking out.

U need to separate them with wire for at least a week before introducing them without wire otherwise they will attack each other
quail introduction can be very brutal so you need to do it very slowly and in a neutral place if poss so if ur parents are getting you a new cage like you said put a separation inside that they can see each other through

I separated them for 5 days, and they seemed to be bonding but when i introduced them they started fighting. I'll try your idea though, right now I placed the other one back in quarantine.

Right mate.. I know this is hard, and by God I struggle myself, but you really need to not jump the queue. These things, like quarantine, slow introduction etc are tried and tested.
You are going to end up with the results the rest got, which means dead animals. So, everytime you feel like 'just trying', or 'lets see', come on here and read something. Or a book.. ;)

I separated them for 5 days, and they seemed to be bonding but when i introduced them they started fighting. I'll try your idea though, right now I placed the other one back in quarantine.

Is your quarantine area right next to the main coop? They need to be able to see each other and have limited interaction.

Right mate.. I know this is hard, and by God I struggle myself, but you really need to not jump the queue. These things, like quarantine, slow introduction etc are tried and tested.
You are going to end up with the results the rest got, which means dead animals. So, everytime you feel like 'just trying', or 'lets see', come on here and read something. Or a book.. ;)
Noted, thanks for the advice!

That croaking noise is their angry/stressed/"stay away from me" sound. Sometimes you will get individuals who just plain don't like each other. 2 weeks old is also very young to be introducing to an adult. They should be the same size. Quail are very territorial so you may have to create some neutral territory to introduce them when the time is right.

Back
Top Bottom