HELP! Quail Chick floppy

clairedurrant

Chirping
Aug 30, 2016
United Kingdom
I hatched 2 chicks 2 days ago (first time) and one is really healthy and eating and drinking loads. The other one is a bit smaller and skinnier... this morning she was under the brooder with her eyes closed so I got her out and every time she walks she kind of flops and then stands still and keeps her eyes closed. It’s a bit concerning as there’s only 2 of them and if the worst happens one will be by herself. Advice please!!

352DE913-07FD-4813-AA32-07CB1CC14418.jpeg
1E7D5EF4-1624-427C-B12C-F855C701F97F.jpeg

So the smallest one (in front) and the bigger healthier one is behind.. I’m just worried the little one hasnt eaten / drank enough. Thank you x

Chick is low on energy. Give the chick sugar water. We use an eye dropper and give them a sugar water solution throughout the day. It makes a great difference. Some people offer sugar water in their regular waterer.

give the other chick a mirror or a stuffed animal to cuddle. this happens with coturnix chicks, they either won’t eat/drink enough and they can wander away from the heat and get lost sometimes and by the time you realize, it can be too late to save them. :hugs in the future, you can try nutridrench in the water and sprinkling food near the heat, but honestly sometimes its just a matter of some chicks not being strong enough to survive outside the egg.

Last edited:
Thank you 💕 I managed to find a lady living nearly who was selling 2 day old chicks so we got a couple for companionship! They’re getting on really well :) View attachment 2128509
you are aware that the newbies are buttons, correct?? great companions for now, but definitely different personalities, size, growth rate, housing etc......they are adorable though!

Back
Top Bottom