HELP... Quail Emergency... Again

HannahKline14

Chirping
Jun 21, 2020
Ohio
So I had a quail who's head skin was just gon it was bleeding I thought maybe a mouse cane in and chewed on it so I took care of it and seperated... Also this is a white cotunix or texas am I don't no the gender I've heard you can't vent sex them very well and I can't seem to either... Anyways now one of my male Italian quail has the same type of injury we moved the quail pen to a safer spot and took the food out last night and they were fine this morning but...when we got back from church I saw it...could the males be fighting over the females....and can the males be together in a pen without females or will they fight as well? Plz help ( warning slightly graphic)
20200809_110702.jpg
20200809_110655.jpg
20200809_110658.jpg

That looks more like pecking from the chickens than a mouse problem. She needs to be separated from others while she heals. Clean the wound with Vetericyn, saline, or weak betadine or hibiclens, and apply antibiotic ointment twice a day. Keep her away from flies.

That looks more like pecking from the chickens than a mouse problem. She needs to be separated from others while she heals. Clean the wound with Vetericyn, saline, or weak betadine or hibiclens, and apply antibiotic ointment twice a day. Keep her away from flies.
Yes we're keeping him inside with our other injured one and I'm pretty sure another male quail is doing it he had blood on his chest and feet but no injury. But I was wondering if the males are in another pen without females I can even make it so they can't see the girls will they still do this?

If the quails want to bully each other they'll go for the top of the head and the eye. I haven't had any experience with mice, but quail are capable of doing that kind of damage. even the hens.
It's most likely another roo bullying your roo. But it's possible for hens to attack the roo. Some roos are really viscous. I had one that did something like that to my hen.
I've never tried putting roos in a cage without females though. Maybe @Nabiki can help

If the quails want to bully each other they'll go for the top of the head and the eye. I haven't had any experience with mice, but quail are capable of doing that kind of damage. even the hens.
It's most likely another roo bullying your roo. But it's possible for hens to attack the roo. Some roos are really viscous. I had one that did something like that to my hen.
I've never tried putting roos in a cage without females though. Maybe @Nabiki can help
Ok thanks for the help I'm just so worried

Yes, likely the males are fighting over your females. Your options are-
1. Rehome one of the males so you only have one
2. Make a sprayed pen for one male, and a few ladies, so you could split the flock I half so there’s only one male to each group of females. Good luck, I hope your other quail is doing better! Avery

Yes, likely the males are fighting over your females. Your options are-
1. Rehome one of the males so you only have one
2. Make a sprayed pen for one male, and a few ladies, so you could split the flock I half so there’s only one male to each group of females. Good luck, I hope your other quail is doing better! Avery
I think I have 4 males out of 10... Wich is way to much so could I make a bachelor pad for them.

Back
Top Bottom