Help questions about a sick peahen!!!!

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hi we have had our 2 yo IB peahen for about six weeks. She is still in quarantine. Fine until today when I noticed her sneeze once and heard her breathing rattle. I noticed that she had not eaten much of her breakfast. I panicked and made a vet appointment with the bird vet. He said she has no lung issues, they did a fecal test that hasn't come back yet. Clear eyes, no nasal discharge. He noticed the rattle in her throat too and wondered about gapeworm looked in her throat and couldn't see anything.

So he put her on Cipro 1/8 tab twice a day; and wants us to force feed her Juvenile formula and dewormer. A special dewormer for gapeworm. I don't want to force feed her. She is very fearful and also very difficult to handle; I am terrified of hurting her or if nothing else just putting her in a state of constant stress. She will eat treats; she likes chopped apple and macaroni and cheese. So here are my questions.

Should I seriously pursue the forcefeeding? Can I try to tempt her with other food to get her to eat and what else can I try that she would like? She doesn't seem to care
for eggs much. Should I try to put the dewormer in her beak ( I will have to go get it to see what it is)

She couldn't just be pining b/c she is still confined, could she? she is so lonely when our two peacocks go outside and leave her, even though it is temporary she calls and calls
til they come back. Vet told me not to let her out for at LEAST another two weeks, and that's how long she will be on the antibiotic anyway.

Has anyone else experienced this? Iam a novice with the peafowl, but we very much want this bird our peaboys need her!

If I do force feed her, I know the basics but haven't done it for a few years. Is it the passage on the right side of her throat that we are supposed to thread the tube down?

I know it's the Holiday weekend but hoping omeone might be still around?

I think there is a peafowl forum down towards the bottom of the index. I would do what the vet says, they usually know best, but of course be gentle
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom